Salt Shaker on a Lazy Susan, magnitude of force

In summary, Joey enjoys playing with his family's antique lazy susan by spinning it at a speed that keeps the salt shaker from slipping off. His older sister measures the shaker's mass and the turntable's radius to calculate the shaker's speed. The question is then posed about the magnitude of the horizontal contact force between the shaker and the turntable. To solve this, one must first understand the concept of centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration of an object moving at a constant speed in a circular path. With this understanding, the expression for the force can be determined.
libbylicious1
Mischievous Joey likes to play with his family's lazy susan (this drives Mom crazy because it is an antique). He puts the salt shaker near the edge and tries to spin the tray at a speed so that the shaker just barely goes around without slipping off. Joey finds that the shaker just barely stays on when the turntable is making one complete turn every two seconds. Joey's older sister measures the mass of the shaker to be 87 grams. She also measures the radius of the turntable to be 0.22 m, and she is able to calculate that the speed of the shaker as it successfully goes around in a circle is 0.6908 m/s.

What is the magnitude of the horizontal part of the contact force on the shaker by the turntable?i am so lost, can someone please help me to get this problem started?? i thought i needed to find the acceleration of the salt shaker and used 0 as my starting velocity, but when i went to find the force i didnt come up with the right answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A body moving at uniform speed in a circle must have a centripetal acc.
Do you know the expression for this acc?

1. What is the purpose of a salt shaker on a lazy susan?

A salt shaker on a lazy susan allows for easy access to salt during a meal, as the lazy susan can be rotated to reach the shaker from any seat at the table.

2. What is the magnitude of force acting on the salt shaker when the lazy susan is rotated?

The magnitude of force depends on the weight of the salt shaker and the speed at which the lazy susan is rotated. The faster the rotation and heavier the shaker, the greater the magnitude of force.

3. Is there a limit to the magnitude of force that can be exerted on the salt shaker?

Yes, there is a limit to the magnitude of force that can be exerted on the salt shaker. Excessive force can cause the salt shaker to tip over or even break, so it is important to use caution when rotating the lazy susan.

4. Does the magnitude of force change if there are other items on the lazy susan?

Yes, the magnitude of force can change if there are other items on the lazy susan. The weight and distribution of the items can affect the force exerted on the salt shaker, so it is important to distribute items evenly for balance.

5. Can the magnitude of force on the salt shaker be measured?

Yes, the magnitude of force on the salt shaker can be measured using a force gauge or by calculating the force using the weight of the shaker and the speed of rotation. This information can be useful for ensuring the proper balance and distribution of items on the lazy susan.