Sample Exam Fourier Series & reverse engineering the question

In summary, it is possible to calculate the period of the given Fourier series, but it is not an easy task.
pat666

Homework Statement

Hey,
This is a question from a sample exam we are given for our engineering maths exam. Firstly given that the Fourier series contains only "sin(x)" doesn't this mean that it is an "odd" function? Can the period be calculated from the given function easily?

Secondly is it possible to draw the "deleted diagram" from the given Fourier series (we haven't learn't this but it should be shouldn't it)? If it is can someone please draw it and then help me do question iii.

Thankyou

PS, if anyone is willing to draw it or get matlab/mathematica to, can you post it and then I will attempt the question and repost.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• sample exam.png
    sample exam.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:

Homework Statement

Hey,
This is a question from a sample exam we are given for our engineering maths exam. Firstly given that the Fourier series contains only "sin(x)" doesn't this mean that it is an "odd" function? Can the period be calculated from the given function easily?

Secondly is it possible to draw the "deleted diagram" from the given Fourier series (we haven't learn't this but it should be shouldn't it)? If it is can someone please draw it and then help me do question iii.

Thankyou

PS, if anyone is willing to draw it or get matlab/mathematica to, can you post it and then I will attempt the question and repost.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If your Fourier expansion has only sine terms, it is indeed an odd function, so the An coefficient is 0. I suppose by "max and min of 1 and -1" they mean [tex]t\in[-1,1][/tex]

r(t) could be the unit step function scaled to -4, when 0<t<1. That would give you the Bn coefficient you've got, but it could've been something else too I think.

Edit: Noticed there's no -4 as a 0th term in the series, so I'm probably wrong. Looks like you need a function that integrated from -1 to 1 gives you zero, but integrated while multiplied by sin(n*t)/pi gives you -4/pi*n

is this a reverse square wave?
the series looks similar to this?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.26.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.26.50 PM.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 506
I'm not sure, I was hoping PF could help me out.

Related to Sample Exam Fourier Series & reverse engineering the question

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine waves. It is used to decompose a complex signal into simpler components in order to analyze and understand its behavior.

2. How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine waves that make up the signal. These coefficients can be determined through integration and are dependent on the period and amplitude of the signal.

3. What is the purpose of reverse engineering a question in a sample exam?

Reverse engineering a question in a sample exam is a problem-solving technique that involves breaking down a complex question into simpler components in order to understand it better and find an appropriate solution. It helps in identifying the key concepts and techniques needed to solve the question.

4. How can I use Fourier Series in real-world applications?

Fourier Series has a wide range of applications in various fields including signal processing, image and audio compression, data analysis, and even in the study of physical phenomena such as heat transfer and quantum mechanics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Fourier Series and its applications?

Practice and exposure to various problems and real-world applications is key to improving your understanding of Fourier Series. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from experts in the field. Additionally, experimenting with different signals and analyzing their Fourier Series can also enhance your understanding.