1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sandwich theorem limit problem

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that
    $$ \lim_{x\to 0} \sqrt{x^3+x^2}\; \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) = 0 $$

using Sandwich theorem
    2. Relevant equations
    Sandwich Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now we know that sine function takes values between -1 and 1. ## -1 \leqslant \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) \leqslant 1 ##. So we can multiply this by ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} ## on both sides. But I want to show that ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} \geqslant 0## near ## x = 0##. So I am stuck at this point. Any guidance will help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2016 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

For x>0 its easy. Now for x<0 if you take for example ##-1<x<0## to prove that ##x^3>-x^2##. Hint: try multiplying ##-1<x<0## by the proper positive term)

4. Dec 28, 2016 #3
    Though I am solving this problem from Stewart's Calculus book, I am trying to be rigorous here. In the statement of the Sandwich theorem, we define an interval ##I## having ##0## as its limit point. Now if we take ##I = [-1,1]##, then ##0## is definitely the limit point of ##[-1,1]##. Now we need to show that for every x in ##I## not equal to ##0##, we have
    $$ -\sqrt{x^3 + x^2} \leqslant \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) \leqslant \sqrt{x^3 + x^2}$$

For this, we will first need to show that ##\sqrt{x^3 + x^2} \geqslant 0## for all ##x## in ##[-1,1]##. Am I on right track ?

5. Dec 28, 2016 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

yes you are on the right track ( you just forgot to multiply by the ##\sqrt{x^3+x^2}## term in the middle of the double inequality).

6. Dec 28, 2016 #5
    Oh I missed that.. Ok I will continue working on this.... thanx

7. Dec 28, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing to prove; that is the very definition of the function ##\sqrt{...} .##

8. Dec 28, 2016 #7
    Ray, we need to be sure that ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##. If this is not true, then there might be problem. Thats why I am tried to come up with an interval over which, we have ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##, and this interval also has ##0## as its limit point.

9. Dec 28, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##0 \leq |x| \leq 1## we have ##|x|^3 \leq |x|^2 = x^2##.

10. Dec 28, 2016 #9
    Thanks Ray... makes sense

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted