Sandwich Theorem: changing inequality

In summary, the sandwich theorem was used to evaluate the limit as x approaches infinity of the expression (x+7sinx)/(-2x+13). By assuming that -2x+13 is negative, the inequalities were changed when dividing by this expression. The limit of the middle term was found to be -1/2, which is the same as the limits of the left and right terms, resulting in a correct answer.
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

Using sandwich theorem evaluvate:
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x+7sinx}{-2x+13}$$

Homework Equations

Sandwich theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

##-7 \leqslant 7sinx \leqslant 7##
##x-7 \leqslant x+7sinx \leqslant x+7##

Now my doubt: I want to divide the expression by ##-2x+13##. But does this change the inequality? I don't know if it is positive or negative.
If I divide, I will get the expression in the question.
(hint given in my textbook: Inequality changes that is they assumed ##-2x+13## is negative.

Let me not change the inequality (I will get the answer but I need to know if what I am doing makes sense)

## \frac{x-7}{-2x+13} \leqslant \frac{x+7sinx}{-2x+13} \leqslant \frac{x+7}{-2x+13} ##

##\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-7}{-2x+13} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1- \frac {7}{x} }{-2+\frac{13}{x}} = -\frac{1}{2}##

Similarly the right side limit is also -1/2(same method). Hence limit of middle term is also -1/2. Answer is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:

Homework Statement

Using sandwich theorem evaluvate:
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x+7sinx}{-2x+13}$$

Homework Equations

Sandwich theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

##-7 \leqslant 7sinx \leqslant 7##
##x-7 \leqslant x+7sinx \leqslant x+7##

Now my doubt: I want to divide the expression by ##-2x+13##. But does this change the inequality? I don't know if it is positive or negative.
If I divide, I will get the expression in the question.
(hint given in my textbook: Inequality changes that is they assumed ##-2x+13## is negative.
Since your limit is as x gets very large, -2x + 13 can be assumed to be negative. Dividing by -2x + 13 will then change the direction of the inequalities.
AdityaDev said:
Let me not change the inequality (I will get the answer but I need to know if what I am doing makes sense)

## \frac{x-7}{-2x+13} \leqslant \frac{x+7sinx}{-2x+13} \leqslant \frac{x+7}{-2x+13} ##

##\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-7}{-2x+13} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1- \frac {7}{x} }{-2+\frac{13}{x}} = -\frac{1}{2}##

Similarly the right side limit is also 1/2(same method). Hence limit of middle term is also 1/2. Answer is correct.

Likes AdityaDev

1. What is the Sandwich Theorem?

The Sandwich Theorem, also known as the Squeeze Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that is used to prove limits by comparing a function to two other functions that have the same limit at a given point.

2. How does the Sandwich Theorem work?

The Sandwich Theorem works by finding two functions, one above and one below the function in question, such that they both have the same limit at the given point. This allows us to "squeeze" the function between the two and prove its limit.

3. Can the Sandwich Theorem be used for functions with changing inequalities?

Yes, the Sandwich Theorem can be used for functions with changing inequalities as long as the two bounding functions also have changing inequalities that approach the same limit at the given point.

4. What are the benefits of using the Sandwich Theorem?

The Sandwich Theorem is a powerful tool for proving limits as it provides a visually intuitive approach and can be used for functions with changing inequalities, unlike other methods such as the Direct Squeeze Theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Sandwich Theorem?

One limitation of the Sandwich Theorem is that it can only be applied to one-sided limits. It also requires finding two bounding functions, which can be challenging for certain functions. Additionally, this theorem only works for proving the existence of a limit, not its value.