Satellite relay system and transmission losses

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding the calculation of g_{amp} in a solution manual for a book. There is confusion over the use of 144 in the calculation and a question about why 6 is used in the maximum antenna gain calculation. The expert suggests that the 144 may be a typo and that the 6 may be related to the efficiency of the antenna used in the chegg solution.
Adir_Sh
Hello.
Below I have a problem I can't quite understand to the full:

f58a628d4d62af797b3f6128cd7db4c3.png

http://www.israup.net/images/027d25c3acde86a09bcb9e1ed869560a.png

http://www.israup.net/images/6757f5c30cbcfe051295b1b1e4614489.png

And that is the suggested solution:

http://www.israup.net/images/955a5be90466defb399d78c7693c8e2f.png

Now my question is about that [itex]g_{amp}[/itex] calculation in the solution provided in the solution manual for the book I'm solving from.
If [itex]P_{in}=35 dBW[/itex] and not 30 dBW as it is in the example, and also uplink frequency value changes from the example provided to the question, then how [itex]g_{amp}=18+144=162 dBW[/itex]? Shouldn't it be [itex]g_{amp}=18-103=-85 dBW[/itex]? -103dBW should reasonably be substracted (and not like 144 being added) since it stands for transmission loss, isn't it?
But the in Psat (out) it seems like they do compensate for it because they do add 162dB...

I have a strong feeling that I miss something here in the idea behind [itex]g_{amp}[/itex]. Could it gain the whole uplink loss in some way? I'm quite curious about that really... :uhh:

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The big typo in example 3.3-1 is the statement: 35dBW + 55dB - 199.1dB + 20 dB = -144.1dBW.

The result should be -89.1dBW.

The idea behind gamp is that it is variable (within some practical limits) and is whatever it needs to be to produce 18dBW (input to the downlink transmitter antenna).

Likes 1 person
Another question, same subject

Well, first of all thanks for your quick response lewando :approve:
I have another little question:

deb6ca041153781f0330d3d9c25f147c.png

I found this solution on Chegg.com:

http://www.israup.net/images/06364d1120e02d09bb453073c3d4fb12.png

Everything is clear to me, apart from that multiplication in 6 when calculating the maximum antenna gain. Why 6?

dfb9aa0228a0d60eacc7a7e4045d11c3.png

Do you suggest there's probably a mistake? Or maybe I misinterpret once more? :shy:

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where that 6 came from. One possibility is that the chegg equation is for a specific antenna. Your working assumption that Ae (the effective aperature) = area is based on unity efficiency of the "antenna area". Perhaps the chegg antenna had less than unity efficiency.

Likes 1 person

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this problem to my attention. From what I can see, the solution manual is incorrect and the calculation for g_{amp} should indeed be g_{amp}=18-103=-85 dBW. As you mentioned, the -103 dBW represents the transmission loss in the uplink frequency, so it should be subtracted from the 18 dBW gain of the amplifier to get the total gain of -85 dBW.

I can see how the solution manual may have caused some confusion, but it is important to remember that transmission losses are typically expressed as negative values, so they should be subtracted instead of added. I would suggest bringing this error to the attention of your instructor or the author of the book to ensure that it is corrected for future editions.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of g_{amp} and the calculation involved. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a satellite relay system?

A satellite relay system is a network of satellites that are used to transmit data between two or more ground stations. The satellites act as repeaters, receiving data from one ground station and then retransmitting it to another ground station.

2. How does a satellite relay system work?

A satellite relay system works by using high-frequency radio waves to transmit data between ground stations. The data is first transmitted from a ground station to a satellite in orbit, which then relays the data to another ground station. The satellite acts as a link between the two ground stations, allowing for communication over long distances.

3. What are some common causes of transmission losses in a satellite relay system?

Transmission losses in a satellite relay system can be caused by a variety of factors, including atmospheric conditions, interference from other signals, and equipment malfunctions. Additionally, the distance between the satellite and ground stations can also affect transmission losses.

4. How are transmission losses in a satellite relay system minimized?

To minimize transmission losses in a satellite relay system, various techniques are used, such as using higher frequency signals, using more powerful transmitters, and employing error correction codes. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of equipment can also help prevent transmission losses.

5. What are some potential benefits of using a satellite relay system for communication?

Using a satellite relay system for communication has several potential benefits, including the ability to transmit data over long distances, even in areas where traditional communication infrastructure is not available. It also allows for global communication and can provide a reliable backup in case of terrestrial network failures. Additionally, satellite communication can be used for real-time data transfer, making it useful for applications such as remote sensing and weather forecasting.