Can Satellites Really be Made from Iron Salvaged from Old Warships?

• Thread starter Andrew1947
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellites
In summary, companies making satellites reportedly use iron from the German fleet scuppered at Scapa Flow in 1919 after WW1 because it was made before the nuclear age and is thus uncontaminated with radioactive atoms. However, this claim is met with skepticism as satellites are typically made from materials like aluminium and titanium, and most iron ore used today has not been affected by nuclear fallout. Additionally, the environment that satellites operate in is already filled with ionising radiation, making the purity of the iron less significant. It is possible that the story about reusing the iron is true for economic reasons, but the reason given may not be entirely accurate.
Andrew1947
Recently I heard on Eggheads that companies making satellites use iron from the German fleet scuppered at Scapa Flow in 1919 after WW1. The reason given for this was that the metal was made before the nuclear age and is thus uncontaminated with radiaoctive atoms.
I find this hard to believe for several reasons:

1) Surely satellites are made from aluminium, titanium, magnesium and the like - not steel.
2) Iron bought today has surely been made from ore dug from deep in the ground, unaffected by all the fallout from the 1940's, 50's and 60's?
3) The environment that satellites operate in is loaded with ionising radiation anyway - any from the construction material of the device would be swamped by all the cosmic rays and solar stuff.

Is this story a myth or is this really true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew1947 said:
Recently I heard on Eggheads that companies making satellites use iron from the German fleet scuppered at Scapa Flow in 1919 after WW1. The reason given for this was that the metal was made before the nuclear age and is thus uncontaminated with radiaoctive atoms.
I find this hard to believe for several reasons:

1) Surely satellites are made from aluminium, titanium, magnesium and the like - not steel.
2) Iron bought today has surely been made from ore dug from deep in the ground, unaffected by all the fallout from the 1940's, 50's and 60's?
3) The environment that satellites operate in is loaded with ionising radiation anyway - any from the construction material of the device would be swamped by all the cosmic rays and solar stuff.

Is this story a myth or is this really true?

I wouldn't be suprised if the story about the iron being reused is true if it is economical to do so, but I'd be quite suprised if that was the reason. As you said, most iron ore wouldn't be particularly contaminated with radioactive sources, short of being directly in the path of the Chernobyl fallout.

Sounds like a myth- OTOH, pre WWII lead is extremely valuable for neutron scattering people. Most modern lead has been contaminated by radiation.

FAQ: Can Satellites Really be Made from Iron Salvaged from Old Warships?

1. What are "Satellites from old warships"?

"Satellites from old warships" refer to satellites that have been repurposed from old decommissioned warships. These satellites are equipped with advanced technology and sensors that were originally used for military purposes.

2. How are these satellites obtained from old warships?

These satellites are typically obtained through a process called "retirement and reuse." This involves carefully dismantling the warship, salvaging the necessary components, and then rebuilding and launching the satellite into orbit.

3. What are the benefits of using satellites from old warships?

One of the main benefits is cost savings. Since the satellites are repurposed from existing technology, it eliminates the need for expensive research and development. Additionally, it helps to reduce space debris by repurposing older satellites instead of launching new ones.

4. How do these satellites differ from traditional satellites?

These satellites are typically larger and more robust, as they were originally designed for military use. They also have advanced sensors and technology that allow for better performance and data collection.

5. What types of missions can these satellites be used for?

These satellites can be used for a variety of missions, including weather forecasting, environmental monitoring, and communication. They can also be used for military purposes such as surveillance and reconnaissance.

Back