Satellites in orbit such that they look like they don't move

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular speed and orbital radius of a communication satellite in a circular geosynchronous orbit above the equator. The equation (GMm)/r^2 = mw^2r is mentioned, and it is suggested that another equation may be needed to find the radius. The idea of using the period of revolution, T, is also brought up as a way to calculate the angular speed.
newtonistheman

Homework Statement

Some communication satellites are put into a circular geosynchronius orbit in which the satellite remains above a certain postion on the Earth's equator as it orbits. Such a satellite would always be in the same position in the sky as seen from the transmitting or recieveing equipment of a communications broadcasting network. Find the angular speed of the satellites orbit necessary for it to reamin above the same point above the equator. What must be the orbitial radius of such a satellite?

Homework Equations

(GMm)\r^2=mw^2r
F=(GMm)\r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for w=squareroot(GM\r)
How am i to know what the radius is? I think i need another equation to input for the radius to find w. Then I can find the radius. Is this the right way to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another equation might be useful. Is there any information in the problem you haven't used? Is there any extra information you can extract from what you have used?

Your solution equation needs a rework.

What would the period of revolution, T, of such satellite be?

[tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/tex]

but i don't know what the radius is

If you've got the period of revolution, [tex]T[/tex], you can calculate the angular speed with the formula in my previous post. The satellite completes [tex]2 \pi[/tex] radians (one revolution) during this time.

1. How do satellites stay in orbit without falling back to Earth?

Satellites are able to stay in orbit due to a balance between their forward motion and the pull of Earth's gravity. This is known as orbital velocity and allows the satellite to continue moving in a circular path around the Earth without falling back.

2. Do satellites stay in the same position in the sky?

No, satellites do not stay in the same position in the sky. They are constantly moving in their orbit around the Earth, which gives the appearance of not moving when observed from the ground.

3. How do satellites maintain their orbital position?

Satellites are equipped with thrusters and gyroscopes that allow them to make small adjustments to their position in orbit, ensuring they stay in the correct path around the Earth. This is necessary due to factors such as atmospheric drag and the gravitational pull of other objects in space.

4. Can we see satellites in orbit with the naked eye?

Yes, it is possible to see satellites in orbit with the naked eye. Depending on the size and brightness of the satellite, as well as lighting and weather conditions, they can sometimes be seen as small points of light moving across the sky.

5. How many satellites are currently in orbit around Earth?

As of 2021, there are over 2,000 active satellites in orbit around Earth, with thousands more inactive or defunct satellites also present. These include communication, navigation, and scientific satellites, among others.