1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellites in orbit such that they look like they don't move

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Some communication satellites are put into a circular geosynchronius orbit in which the satellite remains above a certain postion on the Earth's equator as it orbits. Such a satellite would always be in the same position in the sky as seen from the transmitting or recieveing equipment of a communications broadcasting network. Find the angular speed of the satellites orbit necessary for it to reamin above the same point above the equator. What must be the orbitial radius of such a satellite?

2. Relevant equations
    (GMm)\r^2=mw^2r
    F=(GMm)\r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for w=squareroot(GM\r)
    How am i to know what the radius is? I think i need another equation to input for the radius to find w. Then I can find the radius. Is this the right way to go?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another equation might be useful. Is there any information in the problem you haven't used? Is there any extra information you can extract from what you have used?

4. May 9, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Your solution equation needs a rework.

What would the period of revolution, T, of such satellite be?

[tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/tex]

5. May 9, 2007 #4
    but i don't know what the radius is

6. May 9, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

If you've got the period of revolution, [tex]T[/tex], you can calculate the angular speed with the formula in my previous post. The satellite completes [tex]2 \pi[/tex] radians (one revolution) during this time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?