1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Scaling of the vertical projectile problem nondimensionalization

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Restate the vertical projectile problem in a properly scaled form. (suppose x<<R).

d2x/dt^2=-g(R^2)/(x+R)^2

Initial conditions: x(0)=0, dx(0)/dt=Vo

Find the approximate solution accurate up to order O(1) and O(e), where r is a small dimensionless parameter. (i.e. the solution is given by a function f(e)).

Hint: Suppose 1/(1-e) is a term involving the small parameter e (i.e. e<<1) in the dimensionless equation, do the taylor expansion 1/(1-e)=1+e+....If we approximate 1(1-e) by 1 in the equation then we will obtain the O(1) solution, if we approximate 1/(1-e) by 1+e in the equation, we will obtain the O(e) solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I properly nondimensionalized the equation, getting the following:

d2y/dT^2=-K/(y+1)^2 where K = gR/Vo^2.

Now, as for the O(1) and O(e) stuff, I am completely baffled as to what the problem is asking for. Can someone please explain to me what exactly I am supposed to be doing?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think they want you to do a series expansion of 1/(y+1)^2, so you get something like

[tex] \frac{1}{(y+1)^2} = a + by + cy^2 +... [/tex]
    where a, b & c are constants

the differential equation then becomes
    [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a + by + cy^2 +...) [/tex]

the O(1) case is equavalent to constant gravity, as it negelcts all term O(y) and above
    [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a) + O(y) [/tex]

the O(y) case includes the first order change, and neglects the terms O(y^2) and above
    [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a + by) + O(y^2) [/tex]

note this is possible because generally y<<1, so the contribution of y^n terms dcreases rapidly with increasing n

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    I actually redid the nondimensionalization part and it was correct, but not properly scaled which explains why I didn't get a term that was <<1. The correctly scaled nondimensional equation is d2Y/dT^2=-1/(1+eY)^2 where e<<1.

It doesn't really change though, I still don't see where the 1/(1-e) comes into play. When the problem statement says "the solution is given by a function f(e)", do they mean that O is a function of epsilon alone? I'm having trouble seeing what exactly O is - is it a solution Y to the differential equation or simply the right hand side of the differential equation after you taylor expand it?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

i haven't checked with ur derivation of the differntial equation... if ur happy with it, stick with it...

O actually means something about how one sequence "dominates" another... but i wouldn't bother going into it that far...

Though not exactly correct, I always just took "O" to mean order.. so if you cut off your sequence at O(1), that means the order of the terms neglected are of the order of x or O(x) ...

As x<<1, the order of x is << that of 1, simalarly O(x^2)<<O(x) and so on...

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
    So O is just the order of the taylor approximation that replaces the right hand side?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  7. Jun 7, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

Yep, so in my first post for the O(1) case, you neglect all terms O(y) and above... and so on

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook