1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schaum's Linear Algebra Usefullness?

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hi I'm hammering my way through Schaum's Linear Algebra:
    http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=007154352X&cat=145 [Broken]
    and I'm wondering how much use it will be in the future i.e. is there a heck of a lot more work to do in the field to do well in such things as quantum mechanics.

From watching Leonard Susskind's Stanford Quantum Entanglement lectures on youtube I found it all fairly common sense, and up until the eigenvectors and some little tidbits I hardly needed the book. I find it extremely valuable now though, I mean it's clarifying a LOT I would have missed or taken in without understanding the "why", but I wonder would this be enough once the book is digested or is there a whole mountain of linear algebra to add together before I could have a reasonable shot a QM.

Maybe if you haven't done this book yourself you could look at the table of contents in the link and judge for yourself.

Much appreciated, Gratias tibi ago:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

whs

My intuition has told me that a Schaum's outline is never a replacement for a good text book or 2.

However I do think they can be decent references after taking a course (or learning the whole picture from a good textbook on your own). I'd buy it and a textbook.

If you are going to study something like QM then you are going to need a good arsenal of textbooks anyways so get crackin.

I suppose the real question is, do you just want to learn certain aspects of QM or do you actually want to really study it?

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All of the Schaum's outline books are have very good exercises and algorithms but are very weak on theory. The can, at best, give you a surface facility with the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook