Seeking Advice: Starting to Study Quantum Mechanics (and Statistical Mechanics)

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for two introductory quantum mechanics textbooks to self-study, as well as a thermodynamics-statistical mechanics textbook that complements a course they will be taking. They have a strong computational mathematical background and have been advised by their mentor and professor that any QM textbook will be suitable for their research. They are also planning to take courses in modern physics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics next year. Recommendations are given for introductory QM textbooks such as Molecular Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics by Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloë, and Zettili's textbook. A suggestion is also given for a thermodynamics-statistical mechanics textbook, Thermal Physics by Schroeder.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I am a undergraduate sophomore with double majors in microbiology and chemistry. I have been involving in two research laboratories: theoretical physical chemistry (focused on inorganic chemistry & solid-state physics) and pathogenic bacteriology. I actually just started to work in that theoretical chemistry group, which involves a lot of quantum/statistical mechanics and computational/programing methods. I decided to self-study the quantum mechanics first and later dive into statistical mechanics since I think statistical mechanics requires a basic knowledge in QM (please correct me if I am wrong; can I study both of them simultaneously?); I have been searching for the introductory textbooks on QM, such as Griffiths, Susskind, Feynman (Lecture Volume 3), Shankar, Sakurai, Ballentine, Zettili, Townsend, etc. I want to pick two QM introductory textbooks and self-study them. Could you recommend two QM textbooks that complement each other well (i.e. one is very-detailed and another one has a good explanation, etc.)? The price of textbooks is not a problem for me since I have a textbook scholarship. Both my mentor and professor told me that any QM book of my choice will be fine since most of the research in that theoretical physical chemistry group are computational and programming.

I have a following mathematical background (mostly computational; not proof-based): single-variable and multi-variable calculus (including vector calculus), linear algebra, differential equations (ODE & PDE), and Fourier analysis. I have a good knowledge from Apostol's Calculus Volume 1 but I did not start the Apostol's Calculus Volume 2 yet (planning to start on Winter Break). I am wondering if those mathematical principles are suitable for studying the quantum mechanics.

I will be taking a modern physics course called "Modern Physics: Atomic, Relativistic, and Quantum Mechanics" that uses a textbook called "Modern Physics" by Tipler on next semester. On next year's Fall, I will be taking two courses called "Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics" and "Quantum Mechanics I", which use "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Reif Waveland and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai, respectively. Could you also recommend any introductory thermodynamics-statistical mechanics textbook that goes well with Reif's one?

Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to your advice!

MSK

Physics news on Phys.org
bacte2013 said:
I am a undergraduate sophomore with double majors in microbiology and chemistry. I have been involving in two research laboratories: theoretical physical chemistry (focused on inorganic chemistry & solid-state physics) and pathogenic bacteriology. I actually just started to work in that theoretical chemistry group, which involves a lot of quantum/statistical mechanics and computational/programing methods. I decided to self-study the quantum mechanics first and later dive into statistical mechanics since I think statistical mechanics requires a basic knowledge in QM (please correct me if I am wrong; can I study both of them simultaneously?); I have been searching for the introductory textbooks on QM, such as Griffiths, Susskind, Feynman (Lecture Volume 3), Shankar, Sakurai, Ballentine, Zettili, Townsend, etc. I want to pick two QM introductory textbooks and self-study them. Could you recommend two QM textbooks that complement each other well (i.e. one is very-detailed and another one has a good explanation, etc.)? The price of textbooks is not a problem for me since I have a textbook scholarship. Both my mentor and professor told me that any QM book of my choice will be fine since most of the research in that theoretical physical chemistry group are computational and programming.
Some of the books you mention, like Sakurai and Ballentine, are not introductory. You want to start with somthing more basic. Many people like Griffiths' textbook. Considering your background, I would suggest you start with Molecular Quantum Mechanics by Atkins and Friedman, which provides both an introduction to QM and threats molecules in detail, which you won't find in usual introductory QM books. You can complement with Griffiths or my personal favorite, Quantum Mechanics by Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloë.

bacte2013 said:
I have a following mathematical background (mostly computational; not proof-based): single-variable and multi-variable calculus (including vector calculus), linear algebra, differential equations (ODE & PDE), and Fourier analysis. I have a good knowledge from Apostol's Calculus Volume 1 but I did not start the Apostol's Calculus Volume 2 yet (planning to start on Winter Break). I am wondering if those mathematical principles are suitable for studying the quantum mechanics.
You will definitely need to know about eigenvalue equations, which is in the second volume of Apostol, but you might have covered it already in Linear Algebra. Otherwise, you have all that you need to start QM.

bacte2013 said:
I will be taking a modern physics course called "Modern Physics: Atomic, Relativistic, and Quantum Mechanics" that uses a textbook called "Modern Physics" by Tipler on next semester. On next year's Fall, I will be taking two courses called "Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics" and "Quantum Mechanics I", which use "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Reif Waveland and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai, respectively. Could you also recommend any introductory thermodynamics-statistical mechanics textbook that goes well with Reif's one?
I don't know Waveland's book, but I good basic introduction to the subject is Thermal Physics by Schroeder. And as I said above, Sakurai is an intermediate textbook. It would be good to have some knowledge of QM before tackling Sakurai.

Cohen-Tannoudji's book has a wealth of information, however the presentation is not linear, with those supplements to what he considers the text's main body which make it hard to read. I'd consider that a reserve option and go for Zettili's text as a main source.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles of the physical world at a small scale, where classical mechanics (Newton's laws) no longer apply.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is essential to understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear power. It also plays a crucial role in many fields, including chemistry, biology, and engineering.

3. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of large systems of particles. It provides a link between the microscopic world of quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world of classical mechanics, allowing scientists to understand the properties of materials and systems at a larger scale.

4. How can I start studying quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics?

To start studying quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. You can then begin by familiarizing yourself with the fundamental principles and equations of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics through textbooks or online resources.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics include the idea that it only applies to the microscopic world, that it is purely theoretical and has no practical applications, and that it only deals with probabilities and uncertainties. In reality, quantum mechanics has been experimentally verified and has numerous practical applications, such as in computing and telecommunications. Additionally, while it does involve probabilities, it also provides precise predictions for the behavior of particles and systems.