1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools in Canada for HEP theory

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    I am looking to apply to some schools in Canada for the M.Sc. program in HEP theory as a safety option. I have already applied to UBC, McGill and Waterloo (none of which I consider safeties, btw). What do you think about Simon Fraser and U of Saskatchewan? Are their departments good in general and HEP theory in specific? I would ultimately like to do a PhD at the same place or elsewhere.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2
    I would consider UVic as well.

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3
    Thanks @Mondayman . UVic was a good option. However, their deadline for full consideration for scholarships was January 15. I called them up. They said they've sent out their first round of offers and if all accept there'd be very few vacant positions available. Plus, I'm not Canadian. So, it might be a bit more difficult to get admitted.

5. Feb 13, 2016 #4

klotza

Gold Member

I did my PhD at McGill; they have a very good HEP theory research program, although two profs have left recently including Guy Moore whom I would consider the "spiritual leader" of McGill HEP. Rather than looking at the schools, look at the professors in each department and see if there's anyone who does stuff you're specifically interested in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook