Schrodinger equation and hydrogen atom

In summary, the question asks for the width L of a one-dimensional box where the n=5 level is equivalent to the absolute value of the n=3 state of a hydrogen atom. The equation n^2h^2/8mL^2= |n=3| of the hydrogen atom must be used, with the value of -13.6eV/32 converted to joules.
quietrain

Homework Statement

Find the width L of a one-dimensional box for which n=5 level would correspond to the absolute value of the n=3 state of a hydrogen atom

Homework Equations

am i suppose to use n2h2/8mL2 where n=5 to equate it to the n=3 state of the hydrogen atom? which is -13.6eV/32?

The Attempt at a Solution

i am confuse. or am i suppose to be using some other equations? i don't really understand the question though. appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use these equations. Omit the signs, the absolute values have to be equal. m is the mass of the electron, and convert eV to joule.

ehild

ah i see.. thanks a lot!

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is a key formula in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a particular time.

2. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to the hydrogen atom?

The Schrodinger equation can be used to describe the energy levels and wave function of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It takes into account the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron, and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the electron at different distances from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom?

The solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom provide important information about the energy levels and wave function of the electron in the atom. These solutions can be used to predict the behavior of the electron and explain the spectral lines observed in the emission and absorption spectra of hydrogen.

4. How does the Schrodinger equation incorporate the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation incorporates the uncertainty principle through its use of wave functions, which describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular location. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. The wave functions in the Schrodinger equation take this into account, showing that there is always some uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be applied to other atoms or molecules?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation can be applied to any quantum system, including atoms and molecules. However, the equation becomes increasingly complex as the number of particles in the system increases, making it difficult to solve for larger atoms and molecules. In these cases, approximations and numerical methods are often used to obtain solutions to the Schrodinger equation.