Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle

In summary, the Schrodinger equation for a particle of mass m constrained to move freely along a line between 0 and a has a value in the parenthesis of (8pi^2mE)/h^2. This value is derived by comparing the equation to the time-independent Schrodinger equation and using separation of variables. It is used to find the energy eigenfunctions for different energy levels. As for the trigonometry question, there may be a typo and it could make sense if c1 equals Acos(phi), leading to the use of inverse sin and tan to find phi.
chrisa88
Hi, I am confused about how we obtain a part of the Schrodinger equation for a particle of mass m that is constrained to move freely along a line between 0 and a.

Equation:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}ψ}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+([itex]\frac{8∏^{2}mE}{h^{2}}[/itex])ψ(x)=0

Where does the value in the parenthesis come from and what is this value for? How do we arrive at this part of this equation??

I'd really appreciate some help with this I have a quiz in the morning for physical chemistry and I really need to do well.

Thank you,

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Quantum_Theory/Trapped_Particles/Particle_in_a_1-dimensional_box

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I've looked at that and am still confused... I don't get where that comes from..

Can you be more specific where you get confused in http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Quantum_Theory/Trapped_Particles/Particle_in_a_1-dimensional_box ?

Yes, under Step 3 where it says "If we then solve for k by comparing with the Schrödinger equation above, we find: k=" what I said in parenthesis. The 8pi^2 value. Where does this come from? I'm not sure how this is derived.

chrisa88 said:
Yes, under Step 3 where it says "If we then solve for k by comparing with the Schrödinger equation above, we find: k=" what I said in parenthesis. The 8pi^2 value. Where does this come from? I'm not sure how this is derived.

2 equations bfore Step 3 we have:

##-\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m} \dfrac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2} = E\psi(x)##,

which can be rearranged to

## \dfrac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2} = -\dfrac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi(x)##,

which you can compare with the equation in step 3 to get the result (remembering that ##\hbar = \frac{h}{2\pi}##)

Wow.. I can't believe I missed that. So is this being done by the reasoning of separation of variables? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have to separate them because E varies differently than ψ(x)? Thank you very much for pointing out my silly mistake!

Also, this doesn't really apply to this same question, but you seem very knowledgeable, so do you know how this trig occurs:
knowing: A=(c[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and c[itex]_{2}[/itex]= Acos([itex]\phi[/itex])
solve for [itex]\phi[/itex]
which yields: [itex]\phi[/itex]=sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{(c^{2}_{1}+c^{2}_{2})^{1/2}}[/itex]=tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{c_{1}}[/itex]
I'm not sure how we use the inverse sin to find the phi in the cos function.

chrisa88 said:
Wow.. I can't believe I missed that. So is this being done by the reasoning of separation of variables? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have to separate them because E varies differently than ψ(x)? Thank you very much for pointing out my silly mistake!

In http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Quantum_Theory/Trapped_Particles/Particle_in_a_1-dimensional_box the starting equation was the time-independent Schroedinger equation or TISE, in which E is a constant for each energy level.

However, the TISE is usually derived en route to solving the time-dependent Schroedinger equation (TDSE), which is the more general equation. To solve the TDSE, we usually start by assuming separation of variables, which splits the TDSE into two equations, one of which is TISE.

The TISE has many solutions called the energy eigenfunctions, each of which corresponds to a different E.

The solutions of the TDSE can be constructed from the solutions of the TISE.

chrisa88 said:
Also, this doesn't really apply to this same question, but you seem very knowledgeable, so do you know how this trig occurs:
knowing: A=(c[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and c[itex]_{2}[/itex]= Acos([itex]\phi[/itex])
which yields: [itex]\phi[/itex]=sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{(c^{2}_{1}+c^{2}_{2})^{1/2}}[/itex]=tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{c_{1}}[/itex]

I'm terrible at trig, maybe someone else can help, or ask it in the math forums below?

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much. I did make a post in the math forum.

I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing. At any rate, there's usually plenty of people here who can help.

Good deal, two buddies and I are studying for our physical chemistry, the quantum mechanics portion, quiz that is tomorrow. It's as if our textbook expects us to know a bunch of things without it telling us.

chrisa88 said:

Is it a typo? I think it could make sense if c[itex]_{1}[/itex]= Acos([itex]\phi[/itex]).

By squaring A=(c[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and recognizing Pythagoras's theorem, it could mean that c[itex]_{1}[/itex] and c[itex]_{2}[/itex] are the sides of a right angle triangle, and A is the hypotenuse.

c[itex]_{1}[/itex]= Acos([itex]\phi[/itex]) means that c[itex]_{1}[/itex]/A=cos([itex]\phi[/itex]), so c[itex]_{1}[/itex] is the side adjacent to [itex]\phi[/itex] since A is the hypotenuse.

So sin([itex]\phi[/itex]) would be opposite/hypotenuse which would be [itex]\frac{c_{2}}{A}[/itex], and tan([itex]\phi[/itex]) would be opposite/adjacent which would be [itex]\frac{c_{2}}{c_{1}}[/itex]

Yeah, I'm assuming this is just a typo unless one of the math genius gets back to me and says otherwise. It's very disturbing though because I spent probably 30-45 minutes earlier today digging through trig stuff to figure out where I was going wrong, since it was printed like this in the solutions manual to our textbook and our teacher's handwritten solutions he posts online has the same, supposed, error.

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle?

The Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior and evolution of a particle in a system with given constraints. It combines the concepts of wave function and energy, and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a particular location in space and time.

2. How is the Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle derived?

The Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle is derived from the more general Schrodinger Equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system. It takes into account the constraints on the particle's motion, such as a potential energy barrier or a boundary condition, and is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle?

The Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle is based on a few key assumptions: that the particle is described by a wave function, that the potential energy is known and does not change with time, and that the system is in a stationary state (meaning the probability of finding the particle at a certain location does not change over time).

4. How is the Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in a wide range of physical systems. It is especially useful in fields like quantum chemistry, where it is used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, and in solid state physics, where it is used to describe the properties of materials at a microscopic level.

5. What are the limitations of the Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle?

The Schrodinger Equation for Constrained Particle is a powerful and versatile tool, but it does have its limitations. It only applies to non-relativistic particles, meaning those that are moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light, and it does not take into account the effects of gravity. Additionally, it cannot be used to describe systems with multiple particles or interactions between particles.