Schwartzschild metric difficulty

In summary: The object seems to stay in the same spot when I drop it, even though it should fall according to the Schwartzschild metric.
Thinkor
I am trying to understand how the Schwartzschild metric works and coming to the conclusion that if I drop an object that it will not fall to the Earth but just stay there when I open my hand. Therefore, I'm confident I have made a mistake, but I don't see where it is.

Here is the metric directly from Schwartzschild's paper. This agrees with various other sources I've seen although the notation is different.

ds2 = (1 - α/R)dt2 - dR2/(1 -α/R) - R2(dθ2 + sin2θ d∅)

where α is the Schwartzschild radius, t is the time coordinate, and R is the radial coordinate. Please note that Schwarzschild uses units where c = 1.

I'm just interested in dropping a clock, so I set dθ and d∅ to zero, reducing the equation to

ds2 = A dt2 - dR2/A

where I have defined A = (1 - α/R) for brevity.

The traveler along this line element will see himself "at rest" and so ds2 will equal dτ2, where τ is the proper time. dτ will equal f dt for some function f of R that reflects slower ticking of the clock as it falls. Thus, we have

f2 dt2 = A dt2 - dR2/A

Rearranging a bit, I get

dR2/A = A dt2 - f2 dt2

Solving for dR/dt yields

dR/dt = (A2 - Af2).5

I then take the derivative to get the acceleration.

d2R/dt2 = .5 (A2 - Af2)-.5 (2A dA/dt - A 2f df/dt - f2 dA/dt))

But, dA/dt = -α/R2 dR/dt, and by hypothesis dR/dt = 0 (we are just dropping an object, whose velocity is initially 0). Therefore, we get

d2R/dt2 = .5 (A2 - Af2)-.5 (- A 2f df/dt))

Since f is a function of R, df/dt = df/dR dR/dt = 0 also initially.

But that means d2R/dt2 = 0 initially as well. So the object does not move!

What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using trying to use dynamics, but GR is a kinematic theory. This means that the curvature predefines trajectories that will be followed by test particles with given initial conditions and/or proper accelerations. So it is possible to find the 4-velocity of a dropped object but not the way you're attempting.

You should look this up in a textbook, or maybe start with this (very good) article in Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics

Thinkor said:
The traveler along this line element will see himself "at rest" and so ds2 will equal dτ2, where τ is the proper time. dτ will equal f dt for some function f of R that reflects slower ticking of the clock as it falls. Thus, we have

f2 dt2 = A dt2 - dR2/A
It might be worth noting that:

f2 = A - dR2/(dt2A)

so f is not just a function of R, but a function of R and dt.

These links show how the Schwarzschild acceleration is obtained:

http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s6-07/6-07.htm
http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s6-04/6-04.htm

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the Schwartzschild metric?

The Schwartzschild metric is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the curvature of spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It is often used to study the behavior of light and particles in the vicinity of massive objects like black holes.

Question 2: What makes the Schwartzschild metric difficult to understand?

The Schwartzschild metric is difficult to understand because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as tensors, differential geometry, and curved spacetime. It also requires a deep understanding of general relativity and how gravity affects the structure of space and time.

Question 3: How is the Schwartzschild metric related to black holes?

The Schwartzschild metric is a useful tool for studying black holes because it describes the spacetime curvature around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass, which is similar to the structure of a black hole. By using this metric, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of light and matter near black holes.

Question 4: What are some real-world applications of the Schwartzschild metric?

The Schwartzschild metric has many real-world applications, including predicting the orbits of planets and other objects in our solar system, understanding the behavior of stars and galaxies, and studying the effects of gravitational lensing. It is also used in theoretical physics to explore the nature of black holes and the universe as a whole.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to the Schwartzschild metric?

While the Schwartzschild metric is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of massive objects in our universe, it has its limitations. For example, it only applies to non-rotating, spherically symmetric masses, so it cannot be used to study more complex objects like rotating black holes. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects, which are important for understanding the behavior of matter at a very small scale.