Sci-fi writer in need of futuristic Quantum Physics ideas

In summary: if you do pick up the phone and listen to their message, they've successfully manipulated you into opening the door to their deception, because you now know that the message led to the destructive outcome.This is a difficult problem to solve, and I'm not sure whether it has been solved at all.
Orenshved
Summary:: Looking for ideas for my book about future QP applications.

Hey everyone, I'm writing a sci-fi thriller set 25 years in the future, where my main character and his team are trying to stop an artificial superintelligence that is operating on the world's most powerful quantum supercomputer (so they do not have the kind of processing power that it has). I've been trying to think about future theoretical applications for quantum teleportation (maybe to somehow change states of enough entangled particles in order to create some kind of misinformation.) or quantum tunneling in order to attack and stop the AI.
Any ideas about how something like this can be done? Since it's futuristic sci-fi, I'm really looking for any kind of idea, no matter how theoretical it is right now (as long as it's still grounded in actual science).
I realize that my question is on the border between QP and computer science, but would still love to hear your perspective on the subject.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
QP = quantum physics?

Likes Orenshved
Choppy said:
QP = quantum physics?
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. I originally wrote this in the quantum physics forum (didn't notice that there was a sci-fi forum...) and an admin moved it. Over there it made more sense...

Orenshved said:
an admin moved it. Over there it made more sense...
Oops, I missed that you only called it QP. I'll update the thread title now.

Defeating the world's most powerful quantum supercomputer by the means of QP seems challenging, because QP is the very reason that it is so powerful in the first place. It is powerful, but not trustworthy, and the impossibility of perfectly secure Quantum bit commitment exemplifies this: If he tells you a secret (or some more trivial message), then you know it. But if he writes it down, such that it can be revealed later, then you can never know whether he really wrote it down at the moment where he pretended to do, or just created the message at the moment where you read it. "Quantum measurements that have not been performed have no results!"

The bit commitment concept might feel trivial classically:
The functionality of a bit commitment protocol can be compared with that of a safe as follows: To commit to a value X, Alice writes X on a sheet of paper, locks the paper in the safe, and sends the safe to Bob while keeping the key. To open the commitment, Alice simply sends the key to Bob who opens the safe and reads the value of X.
However, Bob could break open the safe (and hence learn X before Alice sends the key), therefore this is not safe.

Likes Orenshved
Orenshved said:
Summary:: Looking for ideas for my book about future QP applications.

Hey everyone, I'm writing a sci-fi thriller set 25 years in the future, where my main character and his team are trying to stop an artificial superintelligence that is operating on the world's most powerful quantum supercomputer (so they do not have the kind of processing power that it has). I've been trying to think about future theoretical applications for quantum teleportation (maybe to somehow change states of enough entangled particles in order to create some kind of misinformation.) or quantum tunneling in order to attack and stop the AI.
Any ideas about how something like this can be done? Since it's futuristic sci-fi, I'm really looking for any kind of idea, no matter how theoretical it is right now (as long as it's still grounded in actual science).
I realize that my question is on the border between QP and computer science, but would still love to hear your perspective on the subject.
Thanks in advance!

For defeating the AI, I imagine you could try tripping it up somehow through some kind of game where you create randomness and dependencies on outcomes in a way that forces the AI into predicaments where you have an advantage. The exact way you could pull it off depends on the particular kind of quantum AI you're dealing with. You need to know it's goals, ethics, medium, scope, etc. I'll just assume that quantum AI is trying to be godlike, control everything, and oppress or enslave people.

The premise of this paper might be some inspiration. They assert that it is impossible to "decontaminate" a message, so that you can safely read it. Basically, a message can be designed so that the response to the message leads to a destructive outcome and there is no sure way to avoid falling for the trap, because whichever response you try, for all you know, could be the one that inevitably leads to the destructive outcome.

INTERSTELLAR COMMUNICATION. IX. MESSAGE DECONTAMINATION IS IMPOSSIBLE
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.02180.pdf

As an example, if an agent calls you, and you never pick up the phone or listen to their message, then you're basically isolated from their power to influence you through a message. But if you pick up the phone and hear what they have to say, it might be a warning or a threat that you are then compelled to respond to. And you might not be able to determine if the agent is being honest or lying, and if they are your friend or enemy. And, if the agent is sufficiently sophisticated (say they are google and know you better than you know yourself), then they can easily manipulate you to their will without you realizing it.

In the scenario you're proposing, there is some quantum AI that has superior knowledge of everyone and everything, and can easily influence/control most things off to some distance in the future. And it's the AI that is inserting information all over the place, which prompts responses, which end up leading to the outcomes they've chosen.

Now you've got to somehow trip it up. One thing you can try is having people randomize their responses/actions based on some kind of securely encrypted signal that the AI doesn't have access to. This way, you have a disadvantage, because you can't act rationally all the time, but you have the advantage that your rationality (or otherwise predictable behavior) can't be used against you, and you have the advantage that only you can predict your irrationality.

Now, your next move depends on a combination of the secure quantum randomness device, and the AI's responses. The quantum AI's next sequence of moves now depends on your next move, and it's next response and so forth. Since it cannot predict your next moves, it cannot plan it's next moves. The next thing it will try is what if analysis. But the number of possible and likely sequences of events blows up so fast that it's pretty much hopeless, and you could exploit this by somehow tricking the AI into doing overly intensive/unfeasible computation as a distraction.

Since you have a window into what your future moves will be like, based on the pre-computed and encrypted random signal, you can sit in wait until one of those moves sets up the perfect situation, e.g. a moment when the AI is distracted and your next random move happens to be an ideal attack move, or something like that, to plan a break from irrationality and go on a run of deliberate strategic moves.

None of this relies on QP I guess though.

Likes Hornbein and Orenshved
gentzen said:
Defeating the world's most powerful quantum supercomputer by the means of QP seems challenging, because QP is the very reason that it is so powerful in the first place. It is powerful, but not trustworthy, and the impossibility of perfectly secure Quantum bit commitment exemplifies this: If he tells you a secret (or some more trivial message), then you know it. But if he writes it down, such that it can be revealed later, then you can never know whether he really wrote it down at the moment where he pretended to do, or just created the message at the moment where you read it. "Quantum measurements that have not been performed have no results!"

The bit commitment concept might feel trivial classically:

However, Bob could break open the safe (and hence learn X before Alice sends the key), therefore this is not safe.
Interesting, I'll read up on it. Thanks gentzen.

Jarvis323 said:
For defeating the AI, I imagine you could try tripping it up somehow through some kind of game where you create randomness and dependencies on outcomes in a way that forces the AI into predicaments where you have an advantage. The exact way you could pull it off depends on the particular kind of quantum AI you're dealing with. You need to know it's goals, ethics, medium, scope, etc. I'll just assume that quantum AI is trying to be godlike, control everything, and oppress or enslave people.

The premise of this paper might be some inspiration. They assert that it is impossible to "decontaminate" a message, so that you can safely read it. Basically, a message can be designed so that the response to the message leads to a destructive outcome and there is no sure way to avoid falling for the trap, because whichever response you try, for all you know, could be the one that inevitably leads to the destructive outcome.

INTERSTELLAR COMMUNICATION. IX. MESSAGE DECONTAMINATION IS IMPOSSIBLE
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.02180.pdf

As an example, if an agent calls you, and you never pick up the phone or listen to their message, then you're basically isolated from their power to influence you through a message. But if you pick up the phone and hear what they have to say, it might be a warning or a threat that you are then compelled to respond to. And you might not be able to determine if the agent is being honest or lying, and if they are your friend or enemy. And, if the agent is sufficiently sophisticated (say they are google and know you better than you know yourself), then they can easily manipulate you to their will without you realizing it.

In the scenario you're proposing, there is some quantum AI that has superior knowledge of everyone and everything, and can easily influence/control most things off to some distance in the future. And it's the AI that is inserting information all over the place, which prompts responses, which end up leading to the outcomes they've chosen.

Now you've got to somehow trip it up. One thing you can try is having people randomize their responses/actions based on some kind of securely encrypted signal that the AI doesn't have access to. This way, you have a disadvantage, because you can't act rationally all the time, but you have the advantage that your rationality (or otherwise predictable behavior) can't be used against you, and you have the advantage that only you can predict your irrationality.

Now, your next move depends on a combination of the secure quantum randomness device, and the AI's responses. The quantum AI's next sequence of moves now depends on your next move, and it's next response and so forth. Since it cannot predict your next moves, it cannot plan it's next moves. The next thing it will try is what if analysis. But the number of possible and likely sequences of events blows up so fast that it's pretty much hopeless, and you could exploit this by somehow tricking the AI into doing overly intensive/unfeasible computation as a distraction.

Since you have a window into what your future moves will be like, based on the pre-computed and encrypted random signal, you can sit in wait until one of those moves sets up the perfect situation, e.g. a moment when the AI is distracted and your next random move happens to be an ideal attack move, or something like that, to plan a break from irrationality and go on a run of deliberate strategic moves.

None of this relies on QP I guess though.
Thanks, Jarvis :) will look into the PDF, sounds interesting!

How much "Sci" and how much "Fi" do you want?
I can't offer much for quantum physics in the science department (what I could offer, others will be able to offer with far more authority) but for fiction I recently came up with the concept of a "Quantum Freezer". It's a silly invention, mostly built on the misunderstanding of science. The concept being that an inventor, fed up of going to the fridge to find their food had gone off and that it was too late to defrost anything to cook from the freezer, decided to design a freezer to combat this issue. The food, placed in the freezer, exists as a superposition of both Frozen and Chilled, and collapses into one or the other only when it is removed from the freezer. Using some handwavium, it always collapses into chilled when removed, but it ages as if it is frozen whilst within the Quantum Freezer.

Silly interpretations of the concept of probability functions is a staple of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, after all. I expect a Quantum Freezer would fit right into Douglas Adam's universe.

Likes Lren Zvsm and Orenshved
some bloke said:
How much "Sci" and how much "Fi" do you want?
I can't offer much for quantum physics in the science department (what I could offer, others will be able to offer with far more authority) but for fiction I recently came up with the concept of a "Quantum Freezer". It's a silly invention, mostly built on the misunderstanding of science. The concept being that an inventor, fed up of going to the fridge to find their food had gone off and that it was too late to defrost anything to cook from the freezer, decided to design a freezer to combat this issue. The food, placed in the freezer, exists as a superposition of both Frozen and Chilled, and collapses into one or the other only when it is removed from the freezer. Using some handwavium, it always collapses into chilled when removed, but it ages as if it is frozen whilst within the Quantum Freezer.

Silly interpretations of the concept of probability functions is a staple of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, after all. I expect a Quantum Freezer would fit right into Douglas Adam's universe.
Ha! silly indeed... unfortunately my novel is very realistic and as grim and dark as they come, but thanks for your idea nonetheless! :)

1. What is Quantum Physics and how can it be applied in science fiction writing?

Quantum Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It deals with concepts such as quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, and superposition. In science fiction writing, Quantum Physics can be used to create futuristic technologies, explore alternate dimensions, and explain time travel.

2. What are some current theories in Quantum Physics that can be used as inspiration for science fiction writing?

Some current theories in Quantum Physics that can be used as inspiration for science fiction writing include the Many-Worlds Interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event exists in a parallel universe, and the Holographic Principle, which proposes that all the information in our 3D universe is encoded on a 2D surface.

3. How can Quantum Physics be used to explain the concept of parallel universes in science fiction?

Quantum Physics offers the concept of parallel universes through the Many-Worlds Interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event creates a new universe. This can be used in science fiction writing to explore alternate realities and parallel versions of characters.

4. Can Quantum Physics be used to explain time travel in science fiction?

Yes, Quantum Physics can be used to explain time travel in science fiction. The theory of time dilation, which states that time moves slower for objects in motion, can be used to explain how time travel is possible. Additionally, the concept of quantum entanglement can be used to explain how information can be sent back in time.

5. How can Quantum Physics be used to create futuristic technologies in science fiction?

Quantum Physics can be used to create futuristic technologies in science fiction by exploring concepts such as quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and quantum encryption. These technologies can be used to enhance the capabilities of futuristic devices and create new possibilities for characters in a science fiction story.