Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Programming Question

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    Hello, I'm new to these forums, so please forgive any problems with my post. In particular, I wasn't sure where to put this post.

I'm working on a scientific programming problem in Java, and I don't have a huge amount of familiarity with either scientific programming or Java, so you can imagine my dilemma. I'm trying to generate a random distribution of doubles following a truncated power law distribution. That is, I want to generate a list of times, T, for which the probability distribution P(T) is proportional to:

where A and B are constants.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I would go about this? I'm open to programming it myself, if someone can suggest how to get started, or of course if such a distribution is already implemented in some publicly available scientific programming library that would be even better. If writing it myself, I figured I would create a TruncatedPowerLaw class extending the Random class, with a method for nextTruncatedPowerLaw, but I really have no idea where to go from there (i.e., the hard stuff). Thanks in advance!

By the way, if someone sees a way to accomplish this easily in another language, I'm not completely averse to that, although Java is preferred.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2
    If you don't mind programming in C or C++, you could use the GNU Scientific Library. It has random number generators for a lot of distributions.
    There is a Java interface to it, but I don't know if it covers the entire library.
  4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    You can also try the Numerical Recipes book Chpt. 7 (It's available for free online). It might have an algorithm for your problem though you'll probably have to program the solution yourself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?