1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists heed call, but few can find jobs

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Came across this a few months ago and thought it might be of interest here. This excerpt was most interesting to me:
    link

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I find the excerpt interesting with respect to physicists, because from what I have gathered from the commentary here on Physics Forums, while it may indeed be true that the unemployment rate for physicists may be low, that low figure is masked by the number of PhD-level physicists who are working outside of their field. In terms of landing an academic posting (at least as far as the US is concerned), the situation is probably as grim for physicists as it is for other scientists as quoted in the online article.

As an aside, I find it interesting that there is no mention about mathematicians or statisticians in this article.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    I wouldn't doubt the pain of PhD chemists at all. 38% employment rate for new chemistry Phds is probably high due to the fact that it was an ACS survey (they probably include temp jobs that have almost 0 job security and low paying post docs as being "employed"). Choose wisely and always have a backup plan. If I can't find a job after my studies, I'll probably open up a bakery.

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    that may be because most chem graduates are in bio/organic instead of analytical/physical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook