SciFi writer needs space colony help

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a space colony in the form of a giant rotating cylinder, similar to Gerard O'Neill's ideas. The question is whether a hollowed-out asteroid, powered by science fiction fission reactors, could maintain a sense of gravity within the structure. It is also mentioned that the idea is not new and has been explored in science fiction literature.
jashton
Hello all,
I've gotten some great help here before:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4051091#post4051091

and I come back to you again with another question.

So suppose there's a space colony, similar to Gerard O'Neill's ideas back in the 70's of ring-like tubes that rotate to allow for a sense of gravity through centrifugal (centripetal?) force.

I am curious as to the possibility of a similar colony. Fixed in one location in the solar system, and the size of the inside of an asteroid, I mean HUGE. Very similar to his Bernal sphere. (If you are unfamiliar with these terms, google will show you what I"m talking about) But rather than a sphere, would it be possible to have a giant rotating cylander, solid along the sides like a toilet-paper tube with cities and lakes and mountains on the inner side. Assuming there existed science fiction fission reactors to get it spinning, could something as massive as a hollowed out asteroid keep a sense of gravity? What if the tube was accelerating?

As always, thanks for anyone who curiously looked over my question, and thanks for doing what you do!
-jashton

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming there existed science fiction fission reactors to get it spinning, could something as massive as a hollowed out asteroid keep a sense of gravity? What if the tube was accelerating?
We do actually have the theoretical capability to build a space station, perhaps not as huge as something like Babylon 5 but at least bigger than the ISS, and we do have fission reactors that could power it. The reason we haven't developed it yet has more to do with lack of demand, but I think in the next couple of decades this will change.

As long as it's spinning at sufficient speed and the inhabitants are towards the mid to outer part of the structure then they should feel simulated gravity. As for if the tube was accelerating, I assume you mean in a straight line? I guess, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a space station.

You might try reading Arthur C Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". It centers around a deep space probe very similar to the station you propose. Clark even makes some clever allowances for things like linear acceleration and variations in external temperature.

1. What are the key considerations when designing a space colony for a SciFi novel?

The key considerations for designing a space colony for a SciFi novel include:

• Environmental factors such as gravity, atmosphere, and radiation levels
  • Resources and supplies needed for sustaining human life
  • Technological advancements and capabilities for building and maintaining the colony
  • Social and cultural factors, such as the structure of the society and how it functions
  • Potential threats or challenges the colony may face, such as alien encounters or natural disasters

2. How can I make my space colony scientifically accurate but also interesting for readers?

To make your space colony scientifically accurate, it is important to research current technologies and theories in space exploration and colonization. This will help you create a realistic and believable setting for your story. However, to make it interesting for readers, you can also incorporate your own creative ideas and futuristic technologies that may not currently exist. Just make sure to explain how they work and how they fit into the scientific principles of your world.

3. What are the different types of space colonies that could exist in a SciFi novel?

There are several types of space colonies that could exist in a SciFi novel, including:

• Orbital colonies - built in orbit around a planet or moon
  • Lunar colonies - built on the surface of the moon
  • Mars colonies - built on the surface of Mars
  • Generation ships - a space-faring vessel that houses multiple generations of humans
  • Terraformed colonies - altering the environment of a planet or moon to make it habitable for humans

4. How can I incorporate realistic problems and conflicts into my space colony setting?

One way to incorporate realistic problems and conflicts into your space colony setting is to consider the challenges that humans face in isolated and extreme environments, such as Antarctica or the International Space Station. These could include issues with resources, communication, and social dynamics. You can also think about potential conflicts that may arise due to cultural differences, competing interests, or unexpected events such as a malfunctioning system.

5. Are there any ethical considerations I should keep in mind when designing a space colony in my SciFi novel?

Yes, there are several ethical considerations to keep in mind when designing a space colony in your SciFi novel. These could include:

• Environmental impact - how will the colony affect the surrounding environment and its inhabitants?
  • Social equality - how will resources and power be distributed among the colony's inhabitants?
  • Moral dilemmas - what difficult decisions might the characters face in this isolated and extreme environment?
  • Scientific experimentation - what ethical boundaries should be considered when conducting experiments in space?