Sea is a good conductor of electricity

In summary, the sea is a good conductor of electricity, but the current density drops the further you get from the point where lightning actually hit.
quietrain
hi , i was just wondering, if the sea is a good conductor of electricity, when thunder should strike it, won't electricity be conducted everywhere and everything dies in the sea?

how far does electricity spread out? is there some sort of limiting factor? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

The total current through water is the same as through lightning, which is a ridiculously high amount of current, but the current density drops the further you get from the point where lightning actually hit. That means the current flowing through a body is going to drop very rapidly with distance from that point. Unless you happen to be right next to it, you are fairly safe.

If you happen to be swimming, you are far safer in salt water than in fresh water. In fresh water, you are a much better conductor than water, and so you'd be the conduit of choice for lightning. In salt water, there is very little difference, so your odds of getting hit aren't particularly high.

i see.. what if someone puts a never ending source of live wire in the sea, does it mean that it will keep spreading ? or the current density will put a limit to the distance? is there some equation or law governing this ?

quietrain said:
i see.. what if someone puts a never ending source of live wire in the sea, does it mean that it will keep spreading ? or the current density will put a limit to the distance? is there some equation or law governing this ?
Well, that the same as a groundwire. We do this all the time. Earth is effectively an infinite sink for charge.

Clearly lightning can kill creatures in water if it strikes close enough, but over history there must have been many lightning strikes without all sea life being eliminated. Clearly there is a safe distance beyond which the current density is too low to matter, can anyone suggest how far that might be?

I've seen some contradictory ideas about how lightning currents may spread out in water, but the most common suggestion seems to be that it approximates to a hemisphere - at least away from the immediate area of the strike (how far away?). Does anyone out there have reliable information on what really happens? For that matter, how much current density would be lethal - I might guess 0.1A per square metre??

nature sure is weird.

i have seened a video of an electric eel discharging when a croc bit it. and only the croc got shocked but the fishes around the eel was still swimming.

i mean, shouldn't the whole water get electrocuted?

also, electric charges don't just die out right? shouldn't they be spreading and keep traveling throughout the whole sea?

if grounding comes into play, then how do we know if i were to put a live wire into the sea, will it be grounded straight away or will it spread and then get groundeD?

1. How is sea water able to conduct electricity?

Sea water is able to conduct electricity due to the presence of dissolved salts and minerals, which contain ions that can carry an electric charge. These ions, such as sodium and chloride, are free to move within the water and create a pathway for electricity to flow.

2. Is sea water a better conductor than regular water?

Yes, sea water is a better conductor of electricity than regular water. This is because sea water contains a higher concentration of dissolved salts and minerals, which increases the number of ions available to carry an electric charge.

3. How does the salinity of sea water affect its conductivity?

The salinity of sea water directly affects its conductivity. Higher salinity means a higher concentration of dissolved salts and minerals, which translates to a higher number of ions available to conduct electricity. This results in a higher conductivity compared to sea water with lower salinity.

4. Can sea water conduct electricity in its pure form?

No, sea water cannot conduct electricity in its pure form. This is because pure water does not contain ions, which are necessary for the flow of electricity. It is the presence of dissolved salts and minerals that give sea water its conductivity.

5. How does temperature affect the conductivity of sea water?

Temperature can affect the conductivity of sea water, but the effect is minimal. Generally, colder water has a slightly higher conductivity than warmer water due to the ions being more tightly packed and able to move more freely. However, the difference in conductivity between different temperatures is not significant.