Second Bachelors in Electrical Engineering at FIU?

In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate with a B.S in Economics who is looking to switch fields. They are considering the EE undergrad program at Florida International University due to the cost savings of living with their parents. They are advised to research the school's admissions requirements and course offerings, and to consider the overlap between economics and EE. They are also encouraged to look into where previous graduates have found jobs and to visit the campus to get a better feel for the school.
tkfriend89
Hi,

I graduated with a B.S in Economics from Florida State University about 3 years ago, but now I'm looking to switch fields. Can anyone tell me about the EE undergrad program at Florida International University?

I'm considering FIU because I can live with my parents for a while and save a ton of money

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. Find the website for FIU. Find the admissions office. Find out what their requirements for admission and their requirements for the degree. Check their course catalog. Rough out the classes you would take for your degree and see if it appeals to you.

The overlap between economics and EE is small but not zero. Engineers usually take some economics and business oriented classes. Engineers are usually expected to be in industry in some way. Not necessarily running a business, but participating in one in a serious responsible fashion. So you might get credit for some of your existing degree. Also, you probably have at least some of the math. Probably your statistics is good.:woot: And your calculus is probably good enough for entry to EE, though you will have to .

Also, Google up where folks who graduated went after the degree you are considering. If those jobs make you smile then it is probably a good place to try for. You should look for magazines with titles like Engineering Today and similar, the happy gossip mags. These will list places people got jobs after graduating.

If the school is close enough to visit, then visit. Especially if you can "phone ahead" (or email, etc.) and have an appointment to talk to a few people about possibly enrolling. That will tell you something about the school and whether you might like to be there for four years. You can check out things like the library, the labs, and any other facilities you might be interested in.

1. What is a Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering at FIU?

A Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering at FIU is a degree program that allows students who have already earned a bachelor's degree in another field to pursue a second bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. It is designed for individuals who are interested in switching careers or expanding their knowledge and skills in the field of electrical engineering.

2. How long does it take to complete the Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering program at FIU?

The program typically takes 2-3 years to complete, depending on the student's course load and any previous coursework that may be transferred. It is also possible for students to complete the program in a shorter amount of time by taking summer courses or increasing their course load.

3. What are the admission requirements for the Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering program at FIU?

To be considered for admission, students must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They must also have completed certain prerequisite courses in math, physics, and computer science. Additionally, applicants must submit letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores.

4. Can I work while pursuing a Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering at FIU?

Yes, many students are able to work while pursuing their degree. The program offers both full-time and part-time options, allowing students to adjust their course load accordingly. However, it is important to note that the program can be rigorous and may require a significant time commitment.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing the Second Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering program at FIU?

Graduates of the program are prepared for a variety of career opportunities in the field of electrical engineering, including roles in industries such as telecommunications, energy, and manufacturing. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, systems engineer, and project manager. Additionally, graduates may also choose to pursue advanced degrees in electrical engineering or related fields.