Second moments of area Izz and Ixx

  • Thread starter Thread starter on1591
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Moments
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
on1591
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A vertical column has the horizontal cross sectional area shown in the attached image. The column carries a vertical compressive point load of 30kN applied at d. calculate the following:

a) The second central moments of area IZZ and Ixx
b) The maximum values of compressive and tensile stresses
c) The position on the cross section where the stress is zero

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have done part a and got:

Ixx = 5.48E+5
IZZ = 1.75E+5


for part b i know the formulas for compressive stress and tensile stress. However they require a bending moment number. How do i calculate this?

Tensile = Mzc/Ixx
Compressive M(zmax-Zc)Ixx

Compressive stress due to point load F/A

C) I am not sure how to complete this part

Any help would be much appreciated
 
Attachments
  • mechanics q2.png
    mechanics q2.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 945
Physics news on Phys.org
zc = 46.75mm and xc = 22.5mm. Is the bending moment calculated from these?

I have been trying to work out the bending moment for a while now and can't seem to get the answer of 3.97E+5 Nmm
 
Remember, take your moments about the neutral axis.
 
I am also stuck on a very similar question and i don't know how to calculate the moment. I assume the neutral axis was at the centroid of the shape which I would work out to be 46.3 mm. I have been looking for days for help on this and I'm getting nowhere
 
Do you need to draw a bending moments diagram??
 
Bending moment is M= mass x distance between the (load point D - Zc).
 
The position of zero stress (Zo) is basically,

Zo=total tensile stress x total length of z-direction( I beam)/total tensile stress + total compressive stress.