1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-order Coupled O.D.E.s with constant coefficients

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to solve a system of two coupled ODEs. I am interested in an analytic solution if that is possible. I know it will be messy.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U_1}{\partial x^2}+a_1\frac{\partial U_1}{\partial x^2}+b_1 U_1 = c_1 U_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U_2}{\partial x^2}+a_2\frac{\partial U_2}{\partial x^2}+b_2 U_2 = c_2 U_1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted a few methods although I haven't pursued them too hard as I don't want to head down the wrong path. I found that a Laplace transform was too hard to invert. I tried to represent it as a system of 4 first order equations however the inversion was very very messy. Finally, the method I was thinking of employing was to treat the U_2 in the first equation as an arbitrary function and then exploiting the symmetry to find a solution of U_1/U_2 in terms of something in the form of:

[tex]U_{1,2}=... + \int^x_{x_0} U_{2,1}(\eta)e^{(x-\eta)k}d\eta[/tex]

, where k is a variable in terms of a_1 and b_2. I do not know if this will work and have not done much in this area.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am beginning to feel a bit out of my depth. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solve the first equation for [itex]U_2[/itex] and plug it into the second equation.

Why is there a "[itex]\partial x^2[/itex]" in the second term of the left hand side of each equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook