1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-order differential equation and conditions

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hy guys I am have a problem with the last part of this question. part d), ii) I get the general formal which I have displayed below, but what I done understand is if I take the limits as show in ii) I get ##0=\
    \infty## which obviously I am doing something wrong. Have I misinterpreted what they are say as y tends to 0 as x tends. Could anyone give me some advice it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    upload_2017-3-30_16-35-20.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##y=c_1e^{2x}+c_2e^{-3x}-e^{-x}##

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What equation did you get for question d) part i)? Part ii) is essentially saying that ##\lim_{x \to \infty} c_1e^{2x} + c_2e^{-3x} - e^{-x} = 0##. What are the values of the two constants so that this can happen?

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    @Mark44 I see now thank you as soo as u put in that form and do each lim seperatly I saw what was going on. Much apprectied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted