Second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a vibration absorber to reduce the energy in a system caused by vibration. The system is modeled using a mass, spring, and forcing function, and the equations of motion are solved to determine the amplitudes of the displacements. The amplitudes are functions of the forcing frequency and can be plotted to observe their behavior. The conversation also addresses specific questions regarding the amplitudes and values of the forcing frequency for resonance and energy absorption.
TW Cantor

Homework Statement

Vibration in a system can be a source of problems. For example, the deck on a ship could vibrate due to the engine which represents a forcing function. This system may be simply modeled by a mass, representing the deck, a spring representing the stiffness of the deck and a forcing function,representing the engine, on the other end of the spring. A vibration absorber is a mechanism which can be attached to the deck in order to absorb the energy in the system by vibrating itself with the deck remaining static. The vibration absorber can be modeled by a mass and spring and these are attached to the first mass spring system, as shown in the diagram. The whole system is modeled by a two spring, two mass system with forcing on one end. This question is concerned with modelling the steady state oscillation of the system.

Let the deck be represented by the mass m1 with stiffness k1 and displacement from equilibrium at time t as x1(t). Let the vibration absorber be represented by the spring of stiffness k2 and mass m2 with displacement from equilibrium at time t given as x2(t).

The displacements are given by the second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equations:

m1* (d2 x1 / dt2) = -(k1+k2)*x1 + k2*x2 + k1*sin(p*t)

m2* (d2 x2 / dt2) = k2*x1 - k2*x2

where p is the angular frequency of the forcing oscillation.

For, a laboratory model the parameter values are:
m1 = 0.55
m2 = 0.16
k1 = 12.1
k2 = 1.2

The steady state solutions (ie. solutions after the system has settled down) of the equations of motion will be of the form x1(t) = a(p)*sin(p*t) and x2(t) = b(p)*sin(p*t)

Use these two solutions as trial solutions and determine the amplitudes of the displacements a(p) and b(p) by substituting these trial functions into the equations of motion. Note that these amplitudes are functions of p. We are interested in the behaviour of the amplitudes |a(p)| and |b(p)|. Plot these functions in Mathcad and examine the behaviour.

i) Give the amplitude of the deck a(p)
ii) Give the amplitude of the vibration absorber b(p)
iii) There are two forcing frequencies p for which resonance occurs ie. the amplitudes become infinitely big. Give the larger value.
iv) There are two forcing frequencies p for which resonance occurs ie. the amplitudes become infinitely big. Give the smaller value.
v) For what value of p does the vibration absorber absorb all the energy and keep the deck at rest?
vi) What is magnitude of the amplitude |b(p)| of the vibration absorber when it is absorbing all of the energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

i have managed to answer parts i, ii, and v for this question but am unsure as to how calculate the rest.
i) a(p) = (12.1*(1.2 - 0.16*p2))/((13.3 - 0.55*p2)*(1.2 - 0.16*p2) - 1.44)

ii) b(p) = 14.52 / ((13.3 - 0.55*p2)*(1.2 - 0.16*p2) - 1.44)

and for part v:
(12.1*(1.2 - 0.16*p2)) = 0
therefore p=2.7386

if anyone can give me any clues about how to go about solving the other parts of the question i would really appreciate it :-)

Attachments

• vibration absorber.png
    vibration absorber.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Likes Antonio V
Physics news on Phys.org
for iii) and iv) when do the coefficients become undefined? think about the denominators, and p, the forcing frequency

Likes Antonio V
if you have answered v, substitute teh value of p you found into b(p)

ok i have got the answer for part vi now, thanks lanedance :-)

for parts iii and iv, would it be when the denominator is equal to zero?

yes it is, i was trying that before but my answers kept coming up different to those given. i must have made some mistake when i rearranged the denominator. thanks for your tips :-)

What is a second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation?

A second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their derivatives up to the second order, where the equation is not equal to zero.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation?

A homogeneous simultaneous differential equation is one where the equation is equal to zero, while an inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation is one where the equation is not equal to zero. The solutions to homogeneous equations are typically simpler and more easily identifiable compared to inhomogeneous equations.

How are simultaneous differential equations solved?

Simultaneous differential equations can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

What are some real-life applications of second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equations?

Second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand complex systems. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of a spring-mass system or the growth of a population with limited resources.

What are the initial conditions for solving a second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation?

The initial conditions for solving a second order inhomogeneous simultaneous differential equation are the values of the variables and their derivatives at a specific point in time. These conditions help determine the unique solution to the equation.