1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order ODE, Complex Roots, Change of Variables

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve:
    [itex] \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} + \omega^{2}y = 0 [/itex]
    Show that the general solution can be written in the form:
    [itex] y(x) = A\sin(\omega x + \alpha) [/itex]
    Where A and alpha are arbitrary constants

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I will need to change variables for this problem, so I let
    [itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]
    Then, using the chain rule I found:
    [itex] \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx} = v\frac{dv}{dy} [/itex]
    Substituting this into the equation I found:
    [itex] v\frac{dv}{dy} + \omega^{2} y = 0 [/itex]
    This looks to me like a separable equation, so I made the following separation:
    [itex] v\frac{dv}{dy} = -\omega^{2} y [/itex]
    [itex] vdv = -\omega^{2} ydy[/itex]
    I integrated both sides and obtained:
    [itex] \frac{v^2}{2} = -\omega^{2} \frac{y^2}{2}[/itex]
    After some manipulation I obtained:
    [itex] v = +- sqrt(2(-\frac{\omega^{2}y}{2} + C)) [/itex]
    Since:
    [itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]
    I made that substitution and found that:
    [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = +- sqrt(2-\frac{\omega^{2}y}{2} + C)) [/itex]
    However, I am a little unsure of myself when it comes to problems like this, so I just wanted to see if I was on the right track with this problem or completely off base. My next step would be to integrate that square root, but I don't see how that would give me anything close to what the book wants for an answer.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    I just realized that perhaps I could solve this using an auxiliary equation, so I'm going to try that out real quick..
    Edit: not working out

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    I made a mistake copying my solution, I am editing now, there should not be a fraction in my separation

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To prove that this is the general solution, you need to do two things: show that it is a solution- that it satisfies the differential equation- and that every solution is of that form. The first part is easy: just take the second derivative of the function and put it into the equation.

For the second, note that [tex]A sin(\omega x+ \alpha)= A(cos(\alpha) sin(\omega x)+ sin(\alpha) cos(\omega x))= C sin(\omega x)+ D cos(\omega x)[/tex] where [itex]C= Acos(\alpha)[/itex] and [itex]D= Asin(\alpha)[/itex]. Since A and [itex]\alpha[/itex] can be any constants, so can C and D.

Then use the fact that, since this is a second order linear homogeneous differential equation, the set of all solutions forms a two dimensional vector space and that [itex]sin(\omega x)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega x)[/itex] are independent solutions and so form a basis for that vector space.

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted