Second Order Predicate Logic vs. First Order

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of converting English sentences into second order logic (PL2) and the limitations of first order logic (PL1) in accurately representing certain sentences, such as those involving the concept of "finite." The conversation also touches on the Geach-Kaplan sentence which cannot be correctly formalized in PL1.
ryan14
Hey,

I'm studying Predicate Logic at the moment and I can't seem to wrap my head around the way that english sentences would convert into second order logic. What kind of sentence can be faithfully represented in PL2 but not in PL1? Sorry if this isn't the appropriate section; I'm actually in a Philosophy (of Math) class, so the sciences aren't really my strong suit.

Would "There exists an American philosopher" be one? Wiki mentions "There are no Albanian philosophers" but I don't see why this couldn't be translated into PL1 if you just made a predicate "is an Albanian philosopher." Or is that beyond the point?

Pretty much I'd like to see an example of what a PL2 sentence that couldn't be expressed in PL1 would look like.

Thanks,
Ryan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try these ones:

"There are only a finite number of grains of sand"

This cannot be correctly formalized in a first order language, because you can't define the predicate "finite".

Or the Geach-Kaplan sentence:

"Some critics admire only each other"

You may see the explanation why this last sentence doesn't have a first-order formalization here:

http://books.google.pt/books?id=sdL...BA#v=onepage&q=geach kaplan sentence&f=false"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast reply and the link. Reading it now.

"There are only a finite number of grains of sand."
^ Can you explain why this cannot be translated into PL1?

Thanks again.

Because if you try to define "finite" in FOL, you'll end up with a predicate that is true in models that don't have more than finite, but prefixed, number of elements, or one that it's true also in infinite domains. This is a consequence of the compactness theorem for FOL, see here (cor. 22):

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/#5"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Ryan,

First of all, it's great that you're studying Predicate Logic! It can definitely be a challenging topic, but it's also very important in many fields of science and philosophy.

To answer your question, the main difference between first and second order predicate logic is the ability to quantify over predicates themselves. In first order logic, we can only quantify over objects (i.e. "There exists an x such that..."). In second order logic, we can also quantify over properties or relations (i.e. "There exists a P such that...").

So, in response to your example, "There exists an American philosopher" could be expressed in both PL1 and PL2. However, let's take the example of "All dogs have four legs." In PL1, we could say "For all x, if x is a dog, then x has four legs." In PL2, we could say "For all P, if P is the property of being a dog, then there exists an x such that x has P and x has four legs." This allows us to explicitly refer to the property of being a dog, rather than just using the variable x to represent it.

Another example could be "Some philosophers believe in God." In PL1, we could say "There exists an x such that x is a philosopher and x believes in God." In PL2, we could say "There exists a P such that P is the property of being a philosopher and there exists an x such that x has P and x believes in God." Again, this allows us to refer to the property of being a philosopher, rather than just using the variable x to represent it.

I hope this helps to clarify the difference between PL1 and PL2. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best,

What is the difference between Second Order Predicate Logic and First Order Logic?

Second Order Predicate Logic is an extension of First Order Logic that allows for quantification over predicates or properties. In other words, Second Order Logic allows for statements about sets of objects, while First Order Logic only allows for statements about individual objects.

Why is Second Order Predicate Logic considered more expressive than First Order Logic?

Second Order Predicate Logic can express statements that cannot be expressed in First Order Logic. This is because Second Order Logic allows for quantification over properties and sets, while First Order Logic only allows for quantification over objects.

What are the practical applications of Second Order Predicate Logic?

Second Order Predicate Logic is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and linguistics. It is particularly useful in areas that deal with complex systems and sets, as it can express more nuanced statements and relationships.

What are the limitations of First Order Logic?

First Order Logic is limited in its ability to express statements about sets and properties. It is also unable to handle self-referential statements, which are important in certain fields such as philosophy and logic.

Which type of logic is more widely used in practical applications?

First Order Logic is more commonly used in practical applications, as it is easier to understand and work with. However, Second Order Logic is becoming increasingly important in fields that deal with complex systems and sets.