Security clearance worth trying to keep for physics career?

In summary: However, if you can keep your clearance by finding a sponsor, it is possible to extend it for an additional 4 years.In summary, having a security clearance can be beneficial for physicists in the defense industry. It can help you get hired more easily and can give you an edge over other candidates.
sleepydreamer
hi,
I am currently a physics major undergraduate and i hold a security clearance from previous work. It expires in 2014 and I wanted to know if it was worth the hassel of trying to get it renewed? keeping in mind that i plan to pursue a phd in physics. getting it renewed won't be easy as i currently don't do any work that uses it. basically how useful is it in the physics world and should I worry about keeping it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, I would say having one can only help you, but the last time I applied for one, I could've sworn there was a section about why I needed one. I don't think "just because it looks good" would suffice.

well i was going to try to keep it open by applying to an internship where it would be needed, think cia, nsa, fbi or something. Even though it woundnt be work i was necessarily interested in. that's why I wanted to know how valuable it is. lucking into an internship at one of those places isn't easy and i didnt want to waste time when i could be doing research.

The latest numbers I've seen (in the academic pyramid thread in this forum) suggest that more than 50% of physics phds are forced out of science (by lack of opportunity) immediately after the phd, and that within 5 years, more than 75% of physics phds are totally out of science.

In such a competitive environment, any edge is worth courting.

If you end up in defense work, already having a security clearance would be a huge benefit. Given the time and expense of getting one, it is a powerful incentive for an employer to hire someone who comes with a clearance. If you can keep it, it will be useful. At the least, you will have a competitive edge later.

to keep your clearance, you need a sponsor, if you are in school full time and not working for someone who requires a clearance, it'll expire

Q: What is a security clearance and why is it important for a physics career?

A: A security clearance is a status granted to individuals that allows them access to classified information. It is important for a physics career because many research projects in physics involve sensitive information and collaboration with government agencies, which require a security clearance.

Q: How do I obtain a security clearance for my physics career?

A: The process for obtaining a security clearance varies depending on the level of clearance required and the agency or organization that is granting it. Generally, it involves filling out an application, undergoing a background check, and possibly an interview or polygraph test.

Q: Is having a security clearance worth the effort and potential risks?

A: This is a personal decision that depends on your career goals and values. Having a security clearance can open up opportunities for high-level research and collaboration, but it also comes with the responsibility of handling classified information and possible restrictions on travel and communication.

Q: Can my security clearance be revoked or expire?

A: Yes, a security clearance can be revoked for various reasons, such as failure to comply with security protocols or a change in your personal circumstances (e.g. criminal activity). Clearances also have an expiration date and must be renewed periodically.

Q: Can I transfer my security clearance to a different job or organization?

A: Generally, security clearances are not transferable between jobs or organizations. Each agency or organization has its own criteria and procedures for granting clearances, so a new background check and application may be required for a new position.