1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Security clearance worth trying to keep for physics career?

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    hi,
    I am currently a physics major undergraduate and i hold a security clearance from previous work. It expires in 2014 and I wanted to know if it was worth the hassel of trying to get it renewed? keeping in mind that i plan to pursue a phd in physics. getting it renewed wont be easy as i currently dont do any work that uses it. basically how useful is it in the physics world and should I worry about keeping it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Usually, I would say having one can only help you, but the last time I applied for one, I could've sworn there was a section about why I needed one. I don't think "just because it looks good" would suffice.

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    well i was going to try to keep it open by applying to an internship where it would be needed, think cia, nsa, fbi or something. Even though it woundnt be work i was necessarily intrested in. thats why I wanted to know how valuable it is. lucking into an internship at one of those places isnt easy and i didnt want to waste time when i could be doing research.

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4
    The latest numbers I've seen (in the academic pyramid thread in this forum) suggest that more than 50% of physics phds are forced out of science (by lack of opportunity) immediately after the phd, and that within 5 years, more than 75% of physics phds are totally out of science.

In such a competitive environment, any edge is worth courting.

6. Nov 4, 2012 #5
    If you end up in defense work, already having a security clearance would be a huge benefit. Given the time and expense of getting one, it is a powerful incentive for an employer to hire someone who comes with a clearance. If you can keep it, it will be useful. At the least, you will have a competitive edge later.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

to keep your clearance, you need a sponsor, if you are in school full time and not working for someone who requires a clearance, it'll expire

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook