Seeking advice for design of homemade DC Motor

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on designing a DC motor with the goal of achieving the highest speed at no load, using only 12V and 1A. They are limited to using copper wire and shimstock for the electromagnet and other general items for the commutator, rotor, and stator. They believe that a series wound motor operated at low amps would be best for their goal but are unsure of the specifics, such as the number of windings for the electromagnet and poles, and the length of copper wire to use. They are also seeking tips for maximizing the performance of their design. The person suggests searching for "DIY ELECTRIC MOTOR" for ideas, and provides a link to a video showing a
Haxord
Hi

I need help deciding how to design my DC motor. I know about series wound and shunt wound motors. I want to design a motor for the highest speed at no load. The limitations are 12V and 1A.

I can only use copper wire (0.315mm, 0.2212 Ohm/meter) and shimstock for the electromagnet (0.003 Inches and 0.005 Inches thickness), and other general items to form the commutator, rotor and stator. From my research I conclude that if I can get a series wound motor to operate at very low amps I will get a high speed. However I have no idea how many windings to use for the electromagnet, how many windings for the poles (i am using a 3 pole design because I want it to be self starting) and the length of copper wire to use. I am not even sure that my conclusion that a series wound motor would be best.

I would like any advice that you can offer on the design that will get the best chance of achieving a high RPM. Also I know about laminating the sheets of shimstock and keeping the air gap the smallest possible to increase flux, is this correct and is there any other tips to maximise the design performance.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most of the parts for a serious motor have to be manufactured for best performance and cost.

So, I don't know where you could go to get these.

However, if you just want to make a motor and see it spin, you could try typing
"DIY ELECTRIC MOTOR" into Google.

A lot of these replies are for the same motor.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnB6Vzgk5w
You get a coil of 1 mm stiff enamel coated wire and suspend it so it balances from the two ends sticking out of the coil. You then scrape the enamel off the bottom side of the wires when the coil is vertical.
It is suspended on a couple of paper clips which act as contacts.
A strong magnet is placed under the coil.

The exposed copper where the enamel was scraped off will allow current to flow when one side of the coil is above the magnet. The coil is heavy enough to keep rotating because of the force on it from this current flow near a magnet.

I have made these motors and they work well if you get them heavy enough and well balanced.

I would first suggest that you do some more research on the principles of DC motor design. There are many factors that affect the speed and efficiency of a motor, and it's important to have a solid understanding of these principles before attempting to design a motor from scratch.

One key factor to consider is the power supply you will be using. In this case, you mention a limitation of 12V and 1A. It's important to choose a power supply that can provide enough power for your motor to operate effectively.

Next, you should determine the specific performance goals for your motor. What is the desired speed and torque? This will help guide your design decisions.

In terms of winding the electromagnet, the number of windings and length of wire will depend on the desired speed and power of your motor. Generally, more windings will result in a higher torque and slower speed, while fewer windings will result in a higher speed and lower torque. You may need to experiment with different winding configurations to find the best balance for your specific goals.

It's also important to consider the materials you will be using for the electromagnet. Copper wire is a good choice due to its high conductivity, but the thickness and length of the wire will also affect the motor's performance.

In terms of laminating the shimstock and minimizing the air gap, these are both important factors in maximizing the motor's performance. Additionally, you may want to consider using permanent magnets for the stator instead of electromagnets, as this can increase efficiency and reduce the need for a high current power supply.

Overall, designing a DC motor is a complex process and it may be helpful to consult with an expert or refer to established design guidelines and principles. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for my homemade DC motor?

The size of your motor will depend on the specific application and power requirements. You will need to consider factors such as voltage, current, and torque. It is recommended to consult online resources or consult with an experienced engineer to determine the appropriate size for your motor.

2. What materials should I use for constructing a homemade DC motor?

The materials you use will depend on the design and function of your motor. Common materials used include copper wire, magnets, and a variety of metals for the rotor and stator. It is important to use materials that are conductive and have magnetic properties for optimal performance.

3. Can I use recycled or salvaged parts for my homemade DC motor?

Yes, in many cases, recycled or salvaged parts can be used for constructing a homemade DC motor. However, it is important to ensure that the parts are in good condition and suitable for the intended use. Additionally, make sure to properly assess and test the parts before incorporating them into your design.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my homemade DC motor?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of your homemade DC motor, such as using high-quality materials, reducing friction, and optimizing the design for minimal energy loss. You may also consider using a gearbox or adding a voltage regulator to improve control and efficiency.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a homemade DC motor?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a homemade DC motor. Ensure that all power sources are disconnected before working on the motor. Additionally, always wear protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area. If you are unsure about any aspect of the construction process, seek advice from a professional engineer.