1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking book recommendations for studying astrophysics

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    Hi! I'm interested in studying astrophysics. I've previously studied the basic concepts about stars, galaxie and black holes. Can anyone recommend some books that would help me learn more about astrophysics?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Dec 21, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I'm a college student and currently studying a course in calculus so this is going to be fun!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Dec 21, 2016 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although I like (and have on my shelf) Carroll and Ostlie, I also recommend "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson, which is almost at the level of Carroll and Ostlie, but which is shorter, and thus maybe a little less comprehensive and a little more readable.

6. Dec 22, 2016 #5
    Mr. Jones has a good recommendation as well. No matter which book you choose, be sure you follow each step. Do a few problems at the end of each chapter or section to be sure you understood and can apply what you read. It takes patience and time (but not a whole lot of money) but it will be worth it.

You can always ask questions here or search online when you run into difficulty.

7. Dec 23, 2016 #6
    Thank you Mr Jones.

8. Dec 23, 2016 #7
    I'll follow your instructions on this, ma'am. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted