1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking suggestions for journals to publish paper

1. Dec 25, 2013 #1
    I am a undergraduate student now and I have joined in a project in my college. I was assigned a job to simulate the deformation of an elastic membrane given the boundary and the exerted forces on it. It seems to be a homework problem and quite fundamental, but I really have spent much time on it and the results seem okay. Is it possible there are some SCI journals might accept my work?

I'd appreciate a lot if you can list me some possible choices.

Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The usual answer is "whatever journal it fits in best, based on your reading". If you say, "but I'm not reading any", then your answer is usually 'nowhere'. If you don't know what else has been done in a field, it is highly unlikely that you have produced anything useful. Scientific publication is a dialog, and wanting to talk without listening is no more popular there than anywhere else.

That said, I suspect very, very few journals are interested in publishing answers to homework problems.

4. Dec 25, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The amount of time you spent on it was, probably, a function of the amount of learning you had to do to solve it, not the intrinsic difficulty of the problem.

It would be fairly easy to list 10 commercially available software packages (not to mention open source software) that would give you a numerical solution to this. If your problem was straightforward to describe, it might take an experienced user say ten minutes to set it up and solve it. If it was hard, maybe half a day.

Unless there is something very novel about either your problem or the way you solved it, the chances of a journal publishing your work are zilch IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook