Seeking your advice on Preparation for Calculus Exam

In summary, a college sophomore with double majors in microbiology and mathematics is trying to prepare for a Calculus II credit examination in a few days. However, it has been a year since they took Calculus I and many concepts have faded from their memory. They have multiple textbooks and past exams to study from, but others advise against taking the exam and recommend retaking the full Calculus I and II courses to earn a better grade. The student is determined to take the exam, but others doubt their ability to do well without fully understanding the material and having enough time to study. The link provided for past exams is for Calculus II, which the student is unsure if they can do well on. Others suggest retaking the full semester to
bacte2013
Dear P.F. friends,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in microbiology & mathematics, and I am currently trying to prepare for the Calculus II credit examination (which is on next Wednesday) to get a credit for Calculus II in my college and take a linear algebra and multivariable calculus on upcoming semester.

Calculus II in my college covers the techniques of integration, sequence & series, taylor series, and brief vector geometry like dot products and vectors. Unfortunately, it has been a year since I took the Calculus I so quite many concepts are faded from my memory...Currently, I have a calculus textbook called "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons, "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang, "Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian B., and the past Calculus II exams written by pro

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus II Credit by Examination is a bad idea for you. Do the full Calculus 1 course, and follow this into the full Calculus 2 course. That advice is because you have not maintained your skills in Calculus 1, and maybe neither your algebra & Trigonometry.

So you have only a few days to learn all of calculus II when you took calculus I a year ago? I'm with the above poster, I don't recommend it. Calc II is difficult and I can't imagine learning it all by yourself within a week or so. Calculus I and calculus II are nothing alike in terms of difficulty, content, and learning methods.

symbolipoint said:
Calculus II Credit by Examination is a bad idea for you. Do the full Calculus 1 course, and follow this into the full Calculus 2 course. That advice is because you have not maintained your skills in Calculus 1, and maybe neither your algebra & Trigonometry.
samnorris93 said:
So you have only a few days to learn all of calculus II when you took calculus I a year ago? I'm with the above poster, I don't recommend it. Calc II is difficult and I can't imagine learning it all by yourself within a week or so. Calculus I and calculus II are nothing alike in terms of difficulty, content, and learning methods.

The very bright part of doing the actual Calculus 1 and 2 courses (repeat of Calculus 1) is that you should earn an A for Calc 1, and possibly B or more in Calc 2.

The possible restriction about repeating Calculus 1 is that you earned at least a C when you finished a year ago and your school might prohibit your repeating it. You still must restudy it fully. Enroll as an audit if allowed, or study Calc 1 on your own, thoroughly.

Thank you very much for the input. However, I am determined to take the exam as Calculus II course has a schedule conflict with my other majors courses for next semester and my undergraduate independent research. The exam is based on the past Calculus II exams, which are linked in http://math.library.wisc.edu/reserve/221.html . Based on those exams, is it possible for me to do well? Right now, I am reading the books I have along with Calculus Lifesaver and so far I did not face a serious difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
bacte2013 said:
Based on those exams, is it possible for me to do well?

No.

If you need someone else to tell you if you will do well, you don't understand the material well enough. Furthermore, there is about 150 hours in lecture and homework that you will be missing. Even if it were possible to learn a subject all at once like this, you don't have enough time if the test is in a few days.

To the OP, with all due respect that was an utterly redundant question you asked. No disrespect. However, as a college student, surely you are an adult how could you think to take a math class by credit for examination if you are not familiar with the course. It is the equivalent of saying, hey let me drive a plane in 1 week, when I only played Ace Combat for 1 week.

Retake full semester.

Are you sure that the link wasn't for calc1? The final is calc1 material in my experience.

^
Sorry! The link is: http://math.library.wisc.edu/reserve/222.html

I want to retake but it will slow my graduation time and hinder my independent undergraduate research schedule...I thought it would be better to college the calculus by examination and proceed to linear algebra..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How should I study for a calculus exam?

The best way to study for a calculus exam is to review your notes and textbook regularly, practice solving problems, and seek help from your teacher or tutor if you have any difficulties. It is also important to start studying early and avoid cramming the night before the exam.

2. What topics should I focus on for the calculus exam?

You should focus on the core concepts and techniques in calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also important to review any specific topics that your teacher or syllabus has emphasized.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the calculus exam?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice solving a variety of calculus problems. You can also try breaking down the problems into smaller steps, seeking help from your teacher or peers, and using different problem-solving strategies.

4. Are there any helpful resources for preparing for the calculus exam?

Yes, there are many helpful resources available, such as review books, online practice problems, and study groups. Your teacher or school may also provide study guides or review sessions.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for the calculus exam?

To manage your time effectively, you can create a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize the topics that need more review, and take regular breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to get enough rest and eat well during your study sessions.