1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly simple multiple integral substitution

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem seems fine but has me stumped for some reason...

For the variables

u=x2−y2
    v= x y

Under the condition u>0
    We're simply asked to determine x(u,v) and y(u,v) so that we can eventually use them to solve a multiple integral by substitution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a number of different methods - for example, trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions for x and y, various linear and quadratic combinations of u and v, etc. - and for some reason I can't find a simple way of expressing x and y in terms of u and v. I noticed that if you let z=x+yi then R(z2)=u and I(z2)=2v, but I'm not sure how this helps. I know there's something really simple I must be overlooking, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can actually solve the integral they gave us - which is pretty easy - just by finding the jacobian d(u,v)/d(x,y) and using the fact that this is the inverse of the Jacobian d(x,y)/d(u,v) without ever explicitly determining the function in terms of u and v - doing it this way, nice factors in the integrand cancel out, which I'm guessing was the point of the question - but I still can't find x (u,v) and y (u,v).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Authors sometimes put problems like that in their homework problems. Your specific problem worked without you ever having to solve explicitly for x and y because the problem was cooked up to work that way. So you are correct; that was the point of the question. Don't waste your time trying to work it the hard way.

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Solve v = xy for y (or for x if you rather).
    Then plug that into the equation for u .

Multiplying by x2 gives a quadratic in x2 .

Solve that for x2 .

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Either substitution or elimination, whichever you prefer...

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    Sorry LC Kurtz and others - maybe I didn't make it clear - expressing x and y in terms of u and v was a part of the problem that we were explicitly asked to do - which seemed strange because it wasn't necessary, under normal circumstances I'd tackle the integral straight away

The quadratic in x^2 method seems like it will give me what I want (and explains the restriction u > 0 which will probably force us to take the positive root)

Just a little irritating to have to do things the long way around - spent way too long on some ultimately unnecessary algebra

Thanks for all your help

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Yea, it is unnecessary for this problem, but there will be times when it's not. Look at it as practice for those times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted