Self Study for Basic Programming

In summary, you should study Java, learn how to use Matlab, and also look for tutorials on how to use other languages.
undrcvrbro
I'm a chemical engineering major and I noticed that my second semester I'll be taking chemical engineering computations, which entails "basic programming language." I don't know the first thing about programming, so what books could I study this summer as a good intro? Sorry if I'm being a little vague about the exact topics the course will cover, I have no clue.

Technology news on Phys.org
First decide what language you want to use :-)

I suggest you start with Java, it is quite easy.

Search here for books here:

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are many intro books about programming, and there are many reviews and comments that is useful for you.

Then you can google for a course home page where you can find material for an introduction java-course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you to learn Matlab, it have complete chemoinformatics library inside. Most works in programming is learning to understand which part of the program had been made anyway.

but then he needs to buy matlab.

malawi_glenn said:
but then he needs to buy matlab.

hmm, you are right, although java might be a little harder, since you will need to understand html, or at least that is how I learn java, by download and splicing. There is no need for any compiler though, since the browser itself is can act as the script reader.

dowload java and blueJ, that all he needs.

Download java and netbeans thought i have never used bluej, Matlab is great! but its only really good when you have the time to spent learning the amount of stuff it can do, if you just wanting to get some quick programming done its not really that fantastic java is nice or c++, java isn't hard to learn at all

Try learning on notepad first, try not to use IDE's, its better to learn the code. There are several "free" books on the web that you can download for c++ or java.

If you just want to get a understanding of programming i suggest you start with python. This language was made to be a learning language you should have any problems getting down the basics.

undrcvrbro said:
I'm a chemical engineering major and I noticed that my second semester I'll be taking chemical engineering computations, which entails "basic programming language." I don't know the first thing about programming, so what books could I study this summer as a good intro? Sorry if I'm being a little vague about the exact topics the course will cover, I have no clue.

Seems like a lot of people need to work on their reading skills. OP says he needs to learn BASIC, that is a specific language.

OP also needs to learn the fundamentals of programing. How to use loops, conditional branching, how to use arrays etc. Most of these concepts are common to all programing languages, where and how to learn them is the question.

The most common place BASIC is found in this day and age is in MS Office Macros. Visual Basic seems like what you will need to learn, look for a book on Excel VB macros, you should be able to get a leg up.

HOWEVER, it seems that you still need to learn the basics of programing. There should be numerous sources on line for that, do a bit of searching, looking for programing tutorials. Of course if you can find them in basic it would help.

1. What is self-study for basic programming?

Self-study for basic programming is a method of learning programming skills by yourself, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It involves using online resources, books, and practice exercises to learn and improve your programming skills.

2. Is self-study for basic programming effective?

Yes, self-study for basic programming can be very effective if you are motivated and dedicated to learning. It allows you to learn at your own pace and focus on areas that you find challenging. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic concepts and to seek help from others when needed.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-study for basic programming?

Some recommended resources for self-study for basic programming include online learning platforms like Codecademy and Coursera, programming books and tutorials, and practice coding challenges on websites like HackerRank and LeetCode.

4. How long does it take to learn basic programming through self-study?

The time it takes to learn basic programming through self-study varies depending on the individual's learning pace and dedication. However, with consistent practice and effort, one can expect to have a good understanding of basic programming concepts within a few months.

5. Are there any tips for successful self-study for basic programming?

Some tips for successful self-study for basic programming include setting specific learning goals, practicing regularly, seeking help from online communities or forums, and staying motivated by working on projects that interest you. It is also important to take breaks and not get discouraged by challenges or mistakes.