Self study supplements for geometry?

In summary, supplemental material for self studying geometry may include textbooks, Khan Academy videos, and geometry textbooks from different authors.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Please move this if it's not the appropriate section of the forum.

Could anyone point me towards some good supplements for self studying geometry? I just finished trigonometry, and I'm starting calculus, and algebra/trig based physics in a few weeks once fall courses start. However, I've never taken a geometry course before, and I feel like that is going to be a major gap in my math education. I've done a decent amount of self study of it, and I'm fairly comfortable with the more common measurement formulas. I feel like I should spend some more time on it, learning how to write proofs, do constructions, etc.

I've got a textbook, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0395977274/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , as well as the accompanying study guide/workbook, and solutions manual.

Could someone point me towards some good supplemental online material? I've watched basically every geometry video on Khan Academy, and they've been helpful, but there is a lot of material that isn't covered there, namely proof writing.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ditto. I feel like I should have a more solid geometrical foundation both for computer graphics and for differential geometry.

Yeah, I feel like it would be a very good idea. I'm starting calculus in the fall, and the calc teacher I'm going to have is also a geometry teacher. I've been warned that he likes to incorporate a lot of geometry into his calculus fairly early on.

I'm going through the textbook that I have. It's actually the text that he uses in his geometry classes. Very heavily oriented on proof writing. I've gotten through the first two chapters so far today, but these are the very basic chapters on points, lines and planes. Simple stuff that I basically already know intuitively, but I'm forcing myself to take the time to understand it all formally, so I can build up some proof writing skills. I'm fairly comfortable with most of the measurement formulas already, I just need to go through and learn the "why this works" aspects of it. As far as the basic properties of lines and angles and whatnot goes, that stuffs basically just intuitive.

I think it will be very beneficial to get a better grasp on it. I'll be taking differential geometry, and other geometry type courses like tensor analysis sometime down the line, so having a solid knowledge of the basics should be beneficial.

By the way, are you the same TomServo from College Confidential? I'm comfortablycurt over there.

lugita15 said:
This thread has some recommendations for geometry textbooks:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=701905

Thanks!

I've got Jurgensen's Geometry text, which is what I've been working through for the last week since summer courses ended. I've made it through the first 4 chapters already. It's basically all stuff that I know intuitively, but I'm forcing myself to sit down and learn it from a formal standpoint. It's a great book so far. Very in depth, and very proof oriented.

I'm considering the Lang Geometry book. I've gotten several recommendations for Lang's Calculus book as a supplementary book for my calculus courses, and Lang's Geometry seems to have pretty positive reviews as well.

I'm also considering picking up the Kiselev Geometry books. It sounds like they're classics, and seem to be very highly regarded.

I'm seeing some recommendations for both of those in that thread, so I might go ahead and grab those ones soon.

1. What are self study supplements for geometry?

Self study supplements for geometry are resources such as textbooks, workbooks, online courses, and practice problems that can be used to supplement a student's learning of geometry outside of a traditional classroom setting. These supplements are designed to provide additional instruction and practice for students who want to improve their understanding and skills in geometry.

2. Why should I use self study supplements for geometry?

Self study supplements for geometry can be beneficial for students who need extra help in understanding difficult concepts or for those who want to challenge themselves and deepen their knowledge of geometry. They can also be helpful for students who are studying independently or for those who want to review and reinforce their understanding of geometry.

3. How do I choose the right self study supplements for geometry?

Choosing the right self study supplements for geometry depends on your individual learning style and needs. Consider your strengths and weaknesses in geometry, as well as the format and resources that work best for you. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for recommendations.

4. Can self study supplements for geometry replace a traditional classroom experience?

No, self study supplements for geometry should not be used as a replacement for a traditional classroom experience. These supplements are meant to supplement, not replace, a structured learning environment with a knowledgeable instructor. They can be a helpful tool in addition to classroom instruction.

5. Are self study supplements for geometry effective?

The effectiveness of self study supplements for geometry depends on the individual student's effort and dedication to using them. These supplements can be effective for students who are motivated and actively engage with the materials. However, they may not be as effective for students who do not use them consistently or do not fully understand the concepts being taught.