1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self study supplements for geometry?

1. Jul 26, 2013 #1

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Please move this if it's not the appropriate section of the forum.

Could anyone point me towards some good supplements for self studying geometry? I just finished trigonometry, and I'm starting calculus, and algebra/trig based physics in a few weeks once fall courses start. However, I've never taken a geometry course before, and I feel like that is going to be a major gap in my math education. I've done a decent amount of self study of it, and I'm fairly comfortable with the more common measurement formulas. I feel like I should spend some more time on it, learning how to write proofs, do constructions, etc.

I've got a textbook, https://www.amazon.com/McDougal-Lit...=UTF8&qid=1374862942&sr=8-2&keywords=geometry , as well as the accompanying study guide/workbook, and solutions manual.

Could someone point me towards some good supplemental online material? I've watched basically every geometry video on Khan Academy, and they've been helpful, but there is a lot of material that isn't covered there, namely proof writing.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2013 #2
    Ditto. I feel like I should have a more solid geometrical foundation both for computer graphics and for differential geometry.

4. Jul 27, 2013 #3

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Yeah, I feel like it would be a very good idea. I'm starting calculus in the fall, and the calc teacher I'm going to have is also a geometry teacher. I've been warned that he likes to incorporate a lot of geometry into his calculus fairly early on.

I'm going through the textbook that I have. It's actually the text that he uses in his geometry classes. Very heavily oriented on proof writing. I've gotten through the first two chapters so far today, but these are the very basic chapters on points, lines and planes. Simple stuff that I basically already know intuitively, but I'm forcing myself to take the time to understand it all formally, so I can build up some proof writing skills. I'm fairly comfortable with most of the measurement formulas already, I just need to go through and learn the "why this works" aspects of it. As far as the basic properties of lines and angles and whatnot goes, that stuffs basically just intuitive.

I think it will be very beneficial to get a better grasp on it. I'll be taking differential geometry, and other geometry type courses like tensor analysis sometime down the line, so having a solid knowledge of the basics should be beneficial.

By the way, are you the same TomServo from College Confidential? I'm comfortablycurt over there.

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4
  6. Aug 2, 2013 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Thanks!

I've got Jurgensen's Geometry text, which is what I've been working through for the last week since summer courses ended. I've made it through the first 4 chapters already. It's basically all stuff that I know intuitively, but I'm forcing myself to sit down and learn it from a formal standpoint. It's a great book so far. Very in depth, and very proof oriented.

I'm considering the Lang Geometry book. I've gotten several recommendations for Lang's Calculus book as a supplementary book for my calculus courses, and Lang's Geometry seems to have pretty positive reviews as well.

I'm also considering picking up the Kiselev Geometry books. It sounds like they're classics, and seem to be very highly regarded.

I'm seeing some recommendations for both of those in that thread, so I might go ahead and grab those ones soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted