Sellmeier's equation to cauchy's equation

• Thread starter ehreming
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving showing that Cauchy's Equation is an approximation of Sellmeier's Equation. The hint provided is to use the binomial theorem to expand Sellmeier's Equation with only the first term, take the square root of n^2, and expand again. The person is having trouble with the first expansion and some scratch work is provided for clarification. Another person suggests expanding \frac{1}{1-x} to leading order in x, which helps with the problem.
ehreming
My problem is to show that that where (lambda)>>(lambda_0) then Cauchy's Equation is an approximation of Sellmeier's.

Now I know generally how to solve it, but my trouble is in some of the expansions. The hint that is provided with the problem is "Write Sellmeier's Equation with only the first term in the sum; expand it by the binomial theorem; take the square root of n^2 and expand again."

it is the "expand by the binomial theorem" that gives me trouble. i looked up the binomial theorem and understand what it says but don't know how to apply it for the first expansion.

I'll try to attach some of my scratch work later, to clear up any confusion. thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

eric

Physics news on Phys.org
ok i found some direction to solving the problem but I'm still having trouble following the first expansion... see the attachment (Word) to see what I'm talking about.

thank
eric

Attachments

• Sellmeier Cauchy.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 929
so I've stumped the Physics Forum??

Apparently so, although I think some of the trouble is that your doc appears unreadable. Let me give it a try though.

The Sellmeier dispersion formula to leading order is [tex] n^2 = 1 + A \frac{\lambda^2}{\lambda^2 - \lambda^2_0} [/tex]. You can rewrite this as [tex] n^2 = 1 + A\frac{1}{1-\lambda^2_0/\lambda^2} [/tex]. Since [tex] \lambda_0 >> \lambda [/tex], you want to expand [tex] \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex] to leading order in x. The binomial theorem is nothing really but a taylor expansion, so as long as you can taylor expand you should be fine.

sorry about the doc... i copied and pasted from a pdf so that might have something to do with it.

btw... you said [tex] \lambda_0 >> \lambda [/tex] but it is actually the other way around... does that change anything?

lemme try that and i'll get back to ya. thanks alot

so you can set [tex] \lambda^2_0 / \lambda^2 = x [/tex]

That changes everything... thanks i didn't think to do that. i really appreciate it.

Last edited:
ehreming said:
btw... you said [tex] \lambda_0 >> \lambda [/tex] but it is actually the other way around... does that change anything?

Woops! I gather that you've seen through my typo so all is well.

Last edited:

1. What is Sellmeier's equation and how is it used in optics?

Sellmeier's equation is a mathematical formula that describes the refractive index of a material as a function of the wavelength of light passing through it. It is used in optics to calculate the dispersion of light in different materials and to design lenses and other optical components.

2. What is the difference between Sellmeier's equation and Cauchy's equation?

Sellmeier's equation is a more accurate representation of the refractive index of materials, as it takes into account the effects of dispersion. Cauchy's equation, on the other hand, is a simpler formula that only considers the refractive index at a single wavelength.

3. How is Sellmeier's equation derived?

Sellmeier's equation is derived from the Lorentz-Lorenz equation, which relates the refractive index of a material to its polarizability, or the ability to be polarized by an electric field. This equation is then modified to include the effects of dispersion, resulting in the Sellmeier equation.

4. What are the limitations of using Sellmeier's equation?

Sellmeier's equation is based on the assumption that the material is isotropic, meaning that it has the same properties in all directions. This is not always the case, and in anisotropic materials, Sellmeier's equation may not accurately predict the refractive index. Additionally, it is only valid for materials with a low absorption coefficient and does not take into account other factors that may affect the refractive index, such as temperature or pressure.

5. Can Sellmeier's equation be used for all types of materials?

No, Sellmeier's equation is primarily used for amorphous materials, such as glasses, and does not apply to crystalline materials. It is also not suitable for materials with a highly variable refractive index, such as metals.