Semi-circular beam and castigliano's theorum

• Thread starter Dicko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equations for horizontal and vertical deflections at any point on a semi-circular beam using Castigliano's theorem with moment deflections in vertical and horizontal and axial deflections. The person is struggling with this and is hoping for help before their deadline in 4 days. They provide links to resources and a lab sheet with a picture of the beam's orientation. They also clarify that they are looking for theoretical deflections at the point where the load is acting.
Dicko
hey guys,
firstly i know this topic is on this website somewhere already but the answers were very good and not complete..

i need a had with this question:
first here's the situation...
semicircular beam fixed at one end with a load on the other...

how can i find out the equations of horazontal and vertical deflection at any point on the beam using castigliano's theorum with moment deflections in vertical and horazontal and axial deflections?

im finding it difficult and would really appreciate the help.. or even the answer :D with detailed solutions that follow working through..

i don't expect this.. but just really hoping for someone really brainy to come along and help me out before my deadline in 4 days..

thanks, Ash

Engineering news on Phys.org
the attachment is the lab sheet with picture of the beam and its orientation.
if i can get workings for the theoretical deflections of anywhere on the beam, specifically the point where the load is acting, in both horazontal and vertical.
hope this makes things more clear..
thanks

Attachments

• Curved_beam[1].pdf
    287 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a semi-circular beam?

A semi-circular beam is a structural element that has a half-circle shape when viewed from the side. It is commonly used in engineering and construction projects due to its ability to withstand bending and torsion forces.

2. How is Castigliano's Theorem related to semi-circular beams?

Castigliano's Theorem is a method used to calculate the deflection and rotation of a beam under a specific load. It can be applied to semi-circular beams to determine their behavior and stability under different loads and boundary conditions.

3. What are the advantages of using Castigliano's Theorem for semi-circular beams?

Castigliano's Theorem allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of deflection and rotation in semi-circular beams compared to traditional methods. It also takes into account the non-linear behavior of the beam, resulting in more precise results.

4. Can Castigliano's Theorem be used for all types of beams?

Castigliano's Theorem can be applied to any type of beam, including semi-circular beams, as long as the material follows the linear elastic behavior. It is not applicable for beams made of non-linear materials such as plastic or rubber.

5. How can Castigliano's Theorem be used to determine the maximum stress in a semi-circular beam?

Castigliano's Theorem can be used to calculate the strain energy in a beam, which is directly proportional to the maximum stress. By determining the strain energy, the maximum stress in a semi-circular beam can be calculated using the material's elastic modulus and the beam's geometry.