Second Order Differential Equations - Beam Deflections

In summary, a cantilever beam of length ##L## is fixed at one end and horizontal when unloaded. When a load is added at the free end, the downward deflection, ##y##, at a distance, ##x##, satisfies the differential equation \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=k\left(L-x\right) \ for\ 0\le x\le L. By double integrating and using the fact that the unloaded beam is horizontal, we can solve for ##c## and find that it is equal to zero. This means that the tangent of the loaded beam at the fixed end is also horizontal.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

A cantilever of length ##L## is rigidly fixed at one end and is horizontal in the unstrainted position. If a load is added at the free end of the beam, the downward deflection, ##y##, at a distance, ##x##, along the beam satisfies the differential equation: [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=k\left(L-x\right) \ for\ 0\le x\le L[/tex]
Where ##k## is a constant. Find the deflection, ##y##, in terms of ##x## and hence find the maximum deflection of the beam.

Homework Equations

Basic knowledge of integration

The Attempt at a Solution

After double integrating both sides I'm left with ##y=\frac{k}{2}Lx^2-\frac{k}{6}x^3+cx+d## As the question tells us the beam is horizontal when their is no weight on it, we know that ##y=0## when ##x=0##.
##0=\frac{k}{2}L\left(0\right)^2-\frac{k}{6}\left(0\right)^3+c\left(0\right)+d##
##d=0##
##y=\frac{k}{2}Lx^2-\frac{k}{6}x^3+cx##
This is where I get stuck - I can't find any part of the question which helps me calculate the value of the constant ##c##. The answer says that ##c## should be zero, but I don't understand how they know this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:

Homework Statement

A cantilever of length ##L## is rigidly fixed at one end and is horizontal in the unstrainted position. If a load is added at the free end of the beam, the downward deflection, ##y##, at a distance, ##x##, along the beam satisfies the differential equation: [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=k\left(L-x\right) \ for\ 0\le x\le L[/tex]
Where ##k## is a constant. Find the deflection, ##y##, in terms of ##x## and hence find the maximum deflection of the beam.

Homework Equations

Basic knowledge of integration

The Attempt at a Solution

After double integrating both sides I'm left with ##y=\frac{k}{2}Lx^2-\frac{k}{6}x^3+cx+d## As the question tells us the beam is horizontal when their is no weight on it, we know that ##y=0## when ##x=0##.
##0=\frac{k}{2}L\left(0\right)^2-\frac{k}{6}\left(0\right)^3+c\left(0\right)+d##
##d=0##
##y=\frac{k}{2}Lx^2-\frac{k}{6}x^3+cx##
This is where I get stuck - I can't find any part of the question which helps me calculate the value of the constant ##c##. The answer says that ##c## should be zero, but I don't understand how they know this.
The beam is horizontal when unloaded. What do you think the direction of the tangent of the loaded beam is at the fixed end?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJcrbfWK8K62FnNax_ghIZRI-NfC0BBBU308CzuXHtzCglpddkxA.png

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains a second derivative or a second order derivative of a function. It is commonly used to model physical systems and their behavior over time.

2. How are second order differential equations used in beam deflections?

Second order differential equations are used in beam deflections to model the bending of a beam under a given load. The equation takes into account the beam's material properties, geometry, and applied load to determine the deflection at any point along the beam.

3. What are the boundary conditions for solving second order differential equations in beam deflections?

The boundary conditions for solving second order differential equations in beam deflections are the constraints that define the beam's support and loading conditions. These can include fixed or hinged supports, point loads, and distributed loads.

4. How do you solve a second order differential equation for beam deflections?

To solve a second order differential equation for beam deflections, you first need to set up the equation using the beam's properties and boundary conditions. Then, you can use various numerical or analytical methods, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the finite element method, to obtain a solution.

5. What are the practical applications of second order differential equations in beam deflections?

Second order differential equations are used in various engineering fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering, to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. They are also used in the design of everyday objects such as furniture and support structures.