1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor diode (graph quesiton)

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current-voltage characteristic curve of a semiconductor diode as a function of temperature T is given by the equation: ##I = I_0(e^{|e|\Delta V / k_BT}-1)##
    where e is the base of the natural logarithm.
    |e| is the charge of an electron
    k_B is the boltzmann's constant
    and T is the absolute temperature.

Set up a spreadsheet to calculate I and R = ΔV/I for V = 0.400V to 0.600V at 0.005 V increments. Assume I_0 = 1.00nA. Scatterplot R versus ΔV for T = 280K, 300K, 320 K. Plot the temperatures.

2. Relevant equations

see above
    3. The attempt at a solution

I don't get how you can set up a spreadsheet to calculate I….aren't we missing the value of T?
    And if "T" is suppose to be the absolute temperature, wouldn't it be 0 K making the fraction undefined?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It looks like they want results for the 3 temperatures given. Maybe make the first column the voltage, then calculate I in 3 more columns, one for each temperature.

I don't get the bolded part of the question, though. Is that copied exactly from your assignment?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted