Semiconductor (hole in conduction band)

In summary, a hole in p-type material is located above the Fermi level, lower than the conduction band, higher than the valence band. When the p-type material is at 0K, the hole will be in the conduction band.
Outrageous
Can a hole go to conduction band?
In p-type, the hole is above the fermi level, lower than conduction band, higher than valence band, how can this be happened? And will this happen when the p-type is at 0K

Engineering news on Phys.org
A hole is the absence of electron while there are electrons present in the surroundings. For a hole to be in conduction band the conduction band should be almost filled with electrons.

Kholdstare said:
A hole is the absence of electron while there are electrons present in the surroundings. For a hole to be in conduction band the conduction band should be almost filled with electrons.

Can you give an example of what will happen to the diode when 'the absent of electron' is in conduction band? So can I say the hole absorbs energy and then jumps to conduction band?

Outrageous,

Can a hole go to conduction band?

The conduction band is full of free electrons at room temperature. How would a hole live there?

In p-type, the hole is above the fermi level, lower than conduction band, higher than valence band, how can this be happened?

You are describing a location within the forbidden gap. What did I say last time about the forbidden zone?

And will this happen when the p-type is at 0K

The semiconductor will "freeze out". The Fermi level will move between the valence level and the acceptor level. Notice how Fermi, the name of an Italian scientist, is capitalized.

Can you give an example of what will happen to the diode when 'the absent of electron' is in conduction band?

What diode? Which side of the diode?

And will this happen when the p-type is at 0K

There won't be any free electrons in the conduction band at that temperature.

Ratch

Ratch said:
The conduction band is full of free electrons at room temperature. How would a hole live there?

You are describing a location within the forbidden gap. What did I say last time about the forbidden zone?
Ratch

So conduction band is not an energy level region where the electrons will stay? it is a region of atom or semiconductor?(When it is full mean all the electrons get energy and jump to conduction band?)

forbidden zone is the energy gap. Actually my second question is why in p-type, the Fermi level will shift towards the valence band and the extra hole will stay at above the Fermi level?

Ratch said:
The Fermi level will move between the valence level and the acceptor level. Notice how Fermi, the name of an Italian scientist, is capitalized.

What diode? Which side of the diode?

There won't be any free electrons in the conduction band at that temperature.

Ratch
What is the acceptor level ?
How do we know the 'the absent of hole' is in conduction band? from what phenomena that happen??(when electron jumps to conduction band, we know because there is electron current)

At 0K, can it be holes in the conduction band? Really don't understand how can a hole absorbs energy or release to move between bands...

Electrons can be in the valence band (generally nearly full of electrons) or in the conduction band (from nearly empty to seriously populated with electrons).

At the top of the valence band, electrons have a negative mass. This is why we introduce holes to represent the lack of an electron, since holes have a positive mass where electrons have a negative mass.

This is never done in the conduction band, because electrons have a positive mass there.

If electrons jump from one band to an other, we never think of them as holes, always as electrons.

The bands are not a region of the semiconductor band a domain of energy of the electrons.

Outrageous,

What is the acceptor level ?
How do we know the 'the absent of hole' is in conduction band? from what phenomena that happen??(when electron jumps to conduction band, we know because there is electron current)

At 0K, can it be holes in the conduction band? Really don't understand how can a hole absorbs energy or release to move between bands...

There is an acceptor level for p-type material and a donor level for n-type material for bound holes and electrons respectively. You really need to get a good book on semiconductor physics, or take a college course on this subject. No one in this forum can give you that kind of knowledge by back and forth dialog.

Attached is a page from such book explaining what donor and acceptor level are, and where they are located. I am sending you this page, because when I perused the net, I found that much of the information there was BS (beautiful sunshine). That includes a lot of material in this forum also.

Ratch

P.S.

Too bad. I cannot send the PDF file to you because it exceeds the size limit of this forum. Send me a PM with a email address and I can send it to you that way.

1) What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as well as a metal, and can also act as an insulator under certain conditions.

2) What is a hole in the conduction band of a semiconductor?

A hole in the conduction band of a semiconductor is a missing electron in the valence band, which creates a positively charged "carrier" that can move through the material and contribute to its conductivity. This is known as the "hole" because it behaves as if it were a positively charged particle.

3) How does a hole in the conduction band affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

A hole in the conduction band increases the conductivity of a semiconductor because it acts as a mobile charge carrier, allowing for the movement of electric current through the material. This is especially important in P-type semiconductors, where the majority of charge carriers are holes.

4) What is the difference between electrons and holes in a semiconductor?

Electrons and holes in a semiconductor have opposite charges and behave differently. Electrons are negatively charged particles that are in the conduction band, while holes are positively charged particles that are in the valence band. Electrons can move freely through the material, while holes move in the opposite direction to the electric current.

5) How do holes contribute to the functioning of semiconductor devices?

Holes play a crucial role in the functioning of many semiconductor devices, such as diodes and transistors. They can be manipulated and controlled to create p-n junctions and regulate the flow of electric current, making it possible for these devices to perform a variety of functions in electronic circuits.