Sending signal to motor to make it for period of time

1. Mar 24, 2011 #1
    I am looking for ideas on how to make a motor run for a certain period of time, but I do not have much experience in circuits. The design is to have the system start at the push of a button. The design can be mechanical or electrical. As of now I am wondering if there is a device that will keep a circuit closed for a period of time and allow current to flow through and therefore run the motor for the certain time.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2011 #2
    What type of motor are you running? And what is it doing? This will dictate the type of system (electrical/mechanical) you want to set up.

4. Mar 24, 2011 #3
    I am really not sure what kind of motor. Any simple motor will work just fine. Like I said, I am new to this kind of thing. I am just expecting a motor that will turn and axle when current is sent through it.

5. Mar 24, 2011 #4
  6. Mar 27, 2011 #5
    Even though it does seem useful, that kit is a little over the project budget of $50. Any oher ideas?

7. Mar 27, 2011 #6
    Time delay relay circuit is probably the simplest way. Google it and you might find some schematics that suits your need.

If not, report back.

8. Mar 28, 2011 #7
    I've found some schematics, but I still need some help. What types of components should I get? What values (such as resistance and voltage) should they have?

This is what I have come up with so far:
    -555 timer
    -electric motor
    -mini prototype circuit board
    -resistors
    -batteries
    -momentary push button/switch
    -maybe capacitors

I am just wondering what values each compenent should have. If I need anything else or don't need something please let me know

Thank You!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?