Sensitive Dependence for Baker's Function

• Thread starter McCoy13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the problem asks for the values of \mu that result in sensitive dependence on initial conditions for the function B_{\mu}(x) = 2\mu x. It is determined that for \mu > ^{1}/_{2}, all iterates will converge to 0 or become fixed points, while for ^{1}/_{2} < \mu < 1, there is a need to find a formula for n in terms of ε and δ to show sensitive dependence.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

[tex]B_{\mu}(x) = 2\mu x : 0 \leq x \leq ^{1}/_{2}[/tex]
[tex]B_{\mu}(x) = \mu (2x-1) : ^{1}/_{2} < x \leq 1[/tex]

Determine the values of [itex]\mu[/itex] for which [itex]B_{\mu}[/itex] has sensitive dependence on initial conditions.

The text defines sensitive dependence on initial conditions as a property of a function provided that for any x in the domain, there is an exists an [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that for any y in the domain arbitrarily close to x, there exists an n such that the nth iterate of y is more than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] away from the nth iterate of x.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine that [itex]\mu>^{1}/_{2}[/itex] on account of the fact that for values less than this, all the iterates will converge to 0, or if [itex]\mu=^{1}/_{2}[/itex] the iterates are all eventually fixed points and so the distance between any two points will stay exactly the same.

I am having trouble coming up with a scheme for analyzing the case of [itex]^{1}/_{2}<\mu <1[/itex]. I have tried to think of points that will eventually have iterates greater than 1/2 and try to separate two points, one below 1/4mu and one above 1/2, but I can't think of how to show (or if it's even true) that such a separation occurs for two points arbitrarily close. I've also tried to think of points that display some kind of eventual predictable behavior, so that if we start with an arbitrary x, we can pick a y arbitrarily close that will eventually do something predictable, and then we can compare how far an eventually periodic y would be from some arbitrary x. I so far have not been able to come up with such a scheme, as I am fairly certain that all periodic points of this function will be repelling, and that the function has period-n points for all n (though I haven't checked this). It is obvious that this implies that the function would display chaotic behavior, but I am having a difficult time thinking of how to show this from the definition given as part of the problem statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. The phrasing of the definition of sensitive dependence is important because ε may not depend on δ, but n may depend on δ. Therefore it's just a matter of finding a formula for n for a given ε and δ. That will be simple to do because the function simply doubles the distance between the two points with each iteration.

What is sensitive dependence for Baker's function?

Sensitive dependence for Baker's function refers to the property of the Baker's transformation, a chaotic map, where small changes in the initial conditions can lead to significantly different outcomes or trajectories.

How is sensitive dependence for Baker's function measured?

Sensitive dependence for Baker's function is often measured using the Lyapunov exponent, which quantifies the rate at which trajectories diverge from each other. A positive Lyapunov exponent indicates sensitive dependence, while a negative exponent indicates stability.

What are the practical applications of sensitive dependence for Baker's function?

Sensitive dependence for Baker's function has applications in various fields such as weather forecasting, population dynamics, and stock market analysis. It helps identify and predict chaotic behavior in complex systems.

Can sensitive dependence for Baker's function be controlled or eliminated?

No, sensitive dependence for Baker's function is an inherent property of chaotic systems and cannot be controlled or eliminated. However, understanding this phenomenon can help in managing and predicting chaotic behavior.

Are there any limitations to sensitive dependence for Baker's function?

Yes, sensitive dependence for Baker's function is only applicable to systems that exhibit chaotic behavior. It may not be applicable to all systems and cannot be used to predict long-term behavior as small changes in initial conditions can lead to significantly different outcomes over time.