Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Separable Differential Equation dy/dx

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dy/dx =[cos^2(x)][cos^2(y)]

2. Relevant equations

The solution to this problem is y = +/- [(2n + 1)*pi]/4

How? Do i just plug C back into the equation? That seems a little messy

3. The attempt at a solution

dy/cos^2(y) = cos^2(x) dx

After integrating: (1/2)tan(2y) = (1/2)(x + cos(x) + sin(x) + C)

C = 2tan(2y) - 2x -sin(2x) for cos(2y) not = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    You have not supplied enough information to make your solution unique. What point must the curve pass through?

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aznkid310! :smile:

No … you're getting your ^2 and your 2 mixed up … it's just tany on the left.

And on the right … you've gone all weird! :rolleyes:

Use cos²x = 1/2(1 + cos(2x)).

5. Apr 16, 2008 #4
    It just saved solve the differential equation. But the solution included all of that.

As for the integration, i checked w/ an integral calculator and the left side is correct. For the right side, its actually cos^2(2x), my mistake.

6. Apr 16, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Firstly, its [itex]y=\frac{2n+1}2\pi[/itex]. You don't need the [itex]\pm[/itex] and the denominator is 2, not 4.

Secondly, this is not "the" solution. There are infinitely many solutions you can find via integrating the differential equation. Hint: You will not get these particular solutions by integrating the differential equation. Big hint: what is the derivative of [itex]y=c[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]?

Thirdly, your integration ran afoul somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook