1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable PDE for electric field in a cavity

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a photo of a page in Laser Physics by Hooker:
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s245/sh/2172a4e7-63c7-41a0-a0e7-b1d68ac739fc/7ba12c241f76a317a6dc3f2d6220027a/res/642710b5-9610-4b5b-aef4-c7958297e34d/Snapshot_1.jpg?resizeSmall&width=832

I have 3 questions (I'm a bit rusty after a long summer):
    1. Is the "c.c." bascially [itex]\textbf{U}(r) e^{i \omega t}[/itex] or is the U actually U*? (Just checking)

2. Why can't we say [itex] \textbf{U}(r) = X(x)Y(y)Z(z) [/itex] instead of separating it into Ux Uy and Uz?

3. Finally: Having gone through the PDE and got an answer with boundary solutions [itex]\textbf{U}(r)_{x} = 0[/itex] at edges, I don't understand where the [itex]\frac{\pi}{L}[/itex] comes from. The π I know is just put in to make the mode numbers simpler later, but how does the L get there?
    And how is the x component a cos function? I get a sin!

Thanks for the help!! I'm just a bit rusty!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    Link does not work.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    Oh, ok here you go (attached)

Attached Files:

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

the +c.c. simply means "plus the conjugate complex expression", i.e.,
    [tex]a+ \text{c.c.}=a+a^*.[/tex]

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5
    To answer your questions:

1: Yes
    2: Note: U (a 3D vector) is a function of r (which contains x, y, and z.)
    3: L is the cavity size (some times you will see 2*Pi/L) depending on boundary conditions and such.

Hope this helps!

As for the cos, I am unsure about this as well. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this matter.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted