Finding the potential V and electric field E

In summary, the electric potential and electric field at a point due to a line of linear charge density is V=kλ/z, and the E field is -del V.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

Find the electric potential V and electric field E at the point P due to a line of linear charge density = λ
2dmdo1z.png

Homework Equations

24od669.png

E = (2kλ)/z

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I made these lines
34si5g3.jpg

If P is on the z axis, r' = x, but it's shifted, so r' = x-x', and r = z, so then | r - r' | = ((x-x')^2+z^2)^1/2
The dl' = λdx, and -L < x < L
So we use the equation V(r), where k and λ are constants, and integration is from -L to L
So V(z) = kλ ∫ dx / ((x-x')^2+z^2)^1/2 , from -L to L
Am I correct?

And as for the the E field, I think it's simply E = (2kλ)/z ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:
Am I correct?

Your work on the potential is correct. For the field, you need to consider using Gauss law, almost the same as the integral you did for the potential where you need to consider the vector nature of field. The formula for the field you came up with there holds only for infinitely long rod.

Abdul.119 said:
So V(z) = kλ ∫ dx / ((x-x')^2+z^2)^1/2 , from -L to L
Am I correct?
Almost. What is the variable you're integrating with respect to? and BTW it's V(x,z), not just V(z).

No, it's obviously a function of x and z.
Once you calculated V(x,z) you can get the E field how?

blue_leaf77 said:
Your work on the potential is correct. For the field, you need to consider using Gauss law, almost the same as the integral you did for the potential where you need to consider the vector nature of field. The formula for the field you came up with there holds only for infinitely long rod.
I don't see how Gauss's law applies here.

OMG, yes I made a reference mistake. I meant Coulomb's law, and the related integral over the rod's length.

rude man said:
Almost. What is the variable you're integrating with respect to? and BTW it's V(x,z), not just V(z).No, it's obviously a function of x and z.
Once you calculated V(x,z) you can get the E field how?

Integrate with respect to x, since the charges lie on the x axis

For the E field, I believe I should use dE = (kλdx z) / r^3 , and in our case the r = ((x-x')^2+z^2)^1/2
Or E = -del V

Last edited:
Abdul.119 said:
Integrate with respect to x, since the charges lie on the x axis
The charges are on the x' axis. Your answer had better include x, right? which won't happen if you integrate with respect to x, letting x = +L and -L as limits of integration. This might have been a typo on your part; the answer is the same other than winding up with V(x',z) instead of V(x,z).
For the E field, I believe I should use dE = (kλdx z) / r^3 , and in our case the r = ((x-x')^2+z^2)^1/2
Or E = -del V
E is a vector, so your first expression can't be right.
I do suggest the second one, though ...
Be prepared for some messy math, I suggest going to math software if you have access to it.

rude man said:
The charges are on the x' axis. Your answer had better include x, right? which won't happen if you integrate with respect to x, letting x = +L and -L as limits of integration. This might have been a typo on your part; the answer is the same other than winding up with V(x',z) instead of V(x,z).
E is a vector, so your first expression can't be right.
I do suggest the second one, though ...
Be prepared for some messy math, I suggest going to math software if you have access to it.

Yeah I will use mathematica to solve these. And thanks for clearing it up, I was a little confused on the integral, got it now. :)

1. What is the potential V of a point in an electric field?

The potential V of a point in an electric field is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from infinity to that point. It is expressed in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity.

2. How do you calculate the electric field E from the potential V?

The electric field E can be calculated by taking the negative gradient of the potential V. In other words, E = -∇V, where ∇ is the vector differential operator.

3. What is the relationship between potential V and electric field E?

The relationship between potential V and electric field E can be described by the equation E = -∇V, which means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential. This means that the electric field is directly proportional to the change in potential over a given distance.

4. Can the potential V and electric field E be negative?

Yes, both the potential V and electric field E can be negative. This typically occurs when there is a negative charge present in the electric field. However, it is important to note that the magnitude of the electric field is always positive.

5. How do you find the potential V and electric field E at a specific point in an electric field?

To find the potential V and electric field E at a specific point in an electric field, you can use the equations V = kq/r and E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the source of the electric field. Alternatively, you can also use the electric potential and electric field formulas for different charge distributions, such as a point charge, line of charge, or plane of charge.