Electric Field Calculation (Square Wire)

In summary, the electric field a distance z above the center of a square loop of wire, each with a side length of l and uniform charge per length λ, can be found using the equation dE=(1/4πε0)dq(1/r^2). By substituting dq=λdx and r^2=x^2+(l^2/4)+z^2, the equation becomes dE=(1/4πε0)dq(1/r^2)sinθ or dE=(1/4πε0)dq(1/r^2)(z/√((l^2/4)+x^2)). To solve for the total electric field, the integral ∫(
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance ##z## above center of a square loop of wire,each of whose sides has length ##l## and uniform charge per length ##λ##

Homework Equations

##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {r^2}## (magnitude)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a pic.
Adsız 1.png

So ##dq=λdx##
##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {r^2}##
##r^2## is here
##x^2+(\frac {l^2} {4})+z^2##

##E_x=E_y=0##
so the equation becomes,
##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {x^2+(\frac {l^2} {4})+z^2}sinθ## which its
##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {x^2+(\frac {l^2} {4})+z^2}\frac {z} {\sqrt {(\frac {l^2} {4})+x^2}}##

From there I get

##E=\frac {zλ} {4πε_0}\int_{\frac {-l} {2}}^{\frac {l} {2}}\frac {8} {(4x^2+l^2+4z^2)(\sqrt {l^2+4z^2})} \, dx##

I stucked at the integral part.I tried calculator but it didnt work out.And before that, are my equations true ? Of course for result I have to mulitply this by ##4## so the answer is
##E_{total}=4E##
It will be in the vertical direction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {x^2+(\frac {l^2} {4})+z^2}sinθ## which its
##dE=\frac {1} {4πε_0} dq \frac {1} {x^2+(\frac {l^2} {4})+z^2}\frac {z} {\sqrt {(\frac {l^2} {4})+x^2}}##
See if you can find the mistake in setting ##\sin\theta = \frac {z} {\sqrt {(\frac {l^2} {4})+x^2}}##

Looks right for me ?

What is the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle which has the angle θ indicated in your sketch?

TSny said:
What is the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle which has the angle θ indicated in your sketch?

I see yeah thanks

TSny said:

I found but I used calculator to find ##\int_\frac {1} {(4x^2+l^2+4z^2)^{\frac {3} {2}}} \ dx ## is it too bad ?

The denominator should be raised to some power other than 1.

TSny said:
The denominator should be raised to some power other than 1.
I fixed sorry my typo

Its hard to write such things in here

Arman777 said:
I found but I used calculator to find ##\int_\frac {1} {(4x^2+l^2+4z^2)^{\frac {3} {2}}} \ dx ## is it too bad ?
I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you get a final answer, I can check to see if I get the same answer.

TSny said:
I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you get a final answer, I can check to see if I get the same answer.

No I found the answer,Just For solving the integral.I used calculator.Then I put the numbers and I found the answer.

Just I couldn't see the Solution of integral.And asked you Is is bad to not solve such integral.Its stupid question I know :/

I think it's OK to use a calculator to do the integral.

To do the integration without a calculator, note that $$\int \frac{dx}{\left(4x^2 + l^2+4z^2 \right)^{3/2}} = \frac{1}{8} \int \frac{dx}{\left(x^2 + a^2 \right)^{3/2}}$$ where ##a^2 = \frac{l^2}{4}+z^2##. Let ##u = \frac{x}{a}## to put the integral into the form $$\frac{1}{8a^2} \int \frac{du}{\left(u^2 + 1\right)^{3/2}}$$ Then try an appropriate trigonometric substitution.

1. How is the electric field calculated for a square wire?

The electric field for a square wire is calculated using the formula E = Q / (4πεr2), where Q is the charge of the wire, ε is the permittivity of the medium surrounding the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. What factors affect the strength of the electric field around a square wire?

The strength of the electric field around a square wire is affected by the charge of the wire, the distance from the wire, and the permittivity of the medium surrounding the wire. Additionally, the shape and size of the wire may also have an impact on the strength of the electric field.

3. How does the electric field differ for a square wire compared to a circular wire?

The electric field around a square wire is different from that of a circular wire because the distribution of charge is not uniform for a square wire. This results in a non-uniform electric field around the wire, whereas a circular wire has a uniform charge distribution and therefore a uniform electric field.

4. Can the electric field around a square wire be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field around a square wire can be manipulated by changing the charge of the wire, the distance from the wire, or the permittivity of the surrounding medium. Additionally, the shape and size of the wire can also be altered to change the electric field.

5. How is the electric field around a square wire measured?

The electric field around a square wire can be measured using a variety of instruments such as an electric field meter or a voltmeter. These instruments can detect the strength of the electric field at different points around the wire and provide numerical values for further analysis.