Separation of variables IVP, book wrong?

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding a solution to the differential equation dy/dx = 3[(y-1)^(1/3)] with initial value y(0)=1. The steps involved separation of variables and substitution, resulting in the solution y = ((2x)^3/2) + 1. The teacher also advised checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equation and initial value, which confirmed the correctness of the solution.
rygza
dy/dx = 3[(y-1)^(1/3)]
with initial values: y(0)=1

ultimately I end up with y=sqrt((2x)^3) + 1 or ((2x)^3/2) + 1
book answer: y= 1+((3x)^3/2)

steps: separation of variables...
((y-1)^-1/3)dy = 3dx

after u-subs, where u = y-1...
3/2((y-1)^2/3) = 3x + C
3/2((y-1)^2/3)-3x = C

after plugging in intial values, C=0
(y-1)^2/3 = 2x then, y-1 = (2x)^3/2
finally... y = ((2x)^3/2) + 1

Teacher has found wrong answers in book before, but unfortunately we aren't told all of the answers that are wrong. Plz let me know if I've done something wrong, as I've been at this like crazy

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks ok to me. But, to be sure, remember you can always plug your answer back into the original equation and initial value to see if it works.

LCKurtz said:
Your answer looks ok to me. But, to be sure, remember you can always plug your answer back into the original equation and initial value to see if it works.

Into the dy/dx = ... part?
or the y = ... ?

1. Evaluate your solution to see if y(0) = 1.
2. Substitute your solution into the differential equation dy/dx = 3[(y-1)^(1/3)]

rygza said:
Into the dy/dx = ... part?
or the y = ... ?

You started with a differential equation. You have a proposed solution to it. Plug y and its derivative back into the differential equation and see if it works. Also check the initial condition works.

oh ok. I plugged into the y = ...
and got 1=1
also tried taking derivative of y (before plugging in initial conditions), substituting into the original equation, and after plugging in initial values got 0=0. checks out

Thanks guys

1. What is "Separation of variables IVP" and why is it important in science?

"Separation of variables IVP" refers to a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with initial values. It involves separating the dependent and independent variables in an ODE and solving each part separately. This technique is important in science because many physical phenomena can be described by ODEs, and the ability to solve them accurately is crucial in understanding and predicting various natural processes.

2. How does "Separation of variables IVP" differ from other methods of solving ODEs?

Unlike other methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method, "Separation of variables IVP" can only be used for ODEs with separable variables, where the dependent and independent variables can be separated into two distinct parts. This method is also more precise and efficient for solving certain types of ODEs, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and analysis.

3. Can "Separation of variables IVP" be used for partial differential equations (PDEs) as well?

No, "Separation of variables IVP" can only be applied to ordinary differential equations. PDEs require more advanced techniques to solve, such as separation of variables in multiple dimensions or using Fourier series. However, some PDEs can be reduced to ODEs through certain transformations, allowing the use of "Separation of variables IVP".

4. I am getting different solutions for the same ODE using "Separation of variables IVP" and other numerical methods. Which one is more accurate?

The accuracy of "Separation of variables IVP" depends on the initial conditions and the complexity of the ODE. In general, this method provides a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods, but it may not always be the case. It is always recommended to cross-check the results with other techniques and consider the limitations and assumptions of each method.

5. Is it possible for a textbook to have a wrong explanation or example for "Separation of variables IVP"?

Yes, textbooks can sometimes have mistakes or errors in their explanations or examples. It is always important to double-check and verify the information from reliable sources or consult with a professional in the field. Additionally, understanding the underlying principles and assumptions of "Separation of variables IVP" can help identify any discrepancies in the textbook explanations.