1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separation of variables - Laplace's Equation

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use separation of variables to find the solution to Laplaces equation satisfying the boundary conditions

u(x,0)=0 (0<x<2)
    u(x,1)=0 (0<x<2)
    u(0,y)=0 (0<y<1)
    u(2,y)= asin2πy(0<y<1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am able to perform the separation of variables technique on the wave equation. The heat equation is a little harder, I struggle a bit, but eventually I get there. Laplace's equation is pretty much impossible. From my understanding, the method is very similar in all three cases, but I think there are some differences which I don't see, which is why I can't do this question.

So I managed to separate the variables, deriving two ODE's, one in terms of x and one in terms of y, with the separation constant λ.

F''(x) - λF(x) = 0
    G''(x) - λG(x) = 0

For the case where λ=0, there are no solutions because nothing can satisfy the last boundary condition listed.

For the case where λ<0, I think there are no solutions, I could sort of tell by having a look at the final answer given. I don't understand how to show this?

For the case where λ>0
    I get F(x) = A*cosh(sigma*x) + B*sinh(sigma*y)
    G(y) = (Ccos(sigma*y) + Dsin(sigma*y))

where sigma is the roots of the ODE's.

so now u(x,t) = F(x)*G(y)
    I have this function with 5 unknowns, A,B,C,D, and sigma
    When I apply all the boundary conditions, I don't really get anywhere. No helpful information appears.

What am I doing wrong? Or, what am I not doing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have a sign error in one of your ODEs. Also, one of them should have ys in it. It looks like what you meant to write was:
    \begin{align*}
    F''(x) - \lambda F(x) &= 0 \\
    G''(y) + \lambda G(y) &= 0
    \end{align*} Depending on the sign of ##\lambda##, you get regular trig functions for one solution and hyperbolic functions for the other.

To see why you can't have ##\lambda<0##, try to satisfy the boundary conditions when you have ##G(y) = C\sinh \sigma y + D\cosh \sigma y##. To satisfy the first two boundary conditions, you need G(0)=0 and G(1)=0. You should find the only way you can do this is if C=D=0, which isn't a useful solution.

If ##\lambda>0##, you have ##G(y) = C\sin \sigma y + D\cos \sigma y##. What do you get from the first two boundary conditions in this case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook