Seperable solutions of Laplace equation in circular polar coords

In summary, the author has solved the Laplace equation in 2D on the annulus defined by 1<=r<=2, and found that there are nonzero solutions for a=0 or a=1/(2*ln(2)). However, the solution for a=1/(2*ln(2)) does not seem to be the only solution.
francis.lane@

Homework Statement

I'm considering Laplace's equation in 2D, written in circular polar coordinates (so that's u_rr + 1/r*u_r + (1/r^2)*u_theta,theta). I've worked out what all the seperable solutions are.

My question is: is this set of seperable solutions complete.

(That is, can all solutions of Laplace's equation be expressed as a sum of these solutions.)

No speculation please.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No. There are other ways of solving the Laplace equation which don't have anything to do with seperable solutions. The boundary conditions are also an important factor.

OK, the full question is this:

I'm given the 2D Laplace equation in circular polars. The problem is defined on the annulus
1<= r <= 2.
The boundary conditions are

a*u + diff(u,r) = 0

on r=1 and r=2.

The question says: show there are nonzero solutions if a = 0 or a = 1/(2*ln(2)).
This part is easy; constants will work for a = 0, and you can find infinitely many solutions of the form c + d*ln(r) in case a=1/(2*ln(2)).

But then the question says:

Are there nonzero solutions for any other values of a?

I can't do this part of the question.

So you have the Laplace equation:

[tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial r}\right) +\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi}{\partial \theta^{2}}=0
[/tex]

along with the boundary conditions:

[tex]
a\varphi +\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial r}=0\quad r=1,2
[/tex]

I am assuming that the solution you seek in radially symmetric solution? My suggestion would be solve the equation and see what you get. You wrote the solution down, so write out the BC for the general case and you should have a system for c and d in terms of a.

Last edited:
No. The question is not whether there are radially symmetric solutions for other values of a, but whether there are any solutions. The solution could be theta-dependent (unless the fact that the BC's are radially symmetric implies that the solution is, but I don't think this is true).

In that case, you can't write down a general solution for the equation, and so you can't obtain a simple set of linear equations for a. (If I could, then, as you say, I would be able to establish conditions for the existence of solutions in terms of a). I could write down a general series solution consisting of an infinite sum of seperable solutions, and then proceed as you suggest. However, this would not be a proof, as the person above says that the seperable solutions do not form a complete set - that is, there may be solutions to the problem that cannot be written as an infinite sum of seperable solutions.

My initial thoughts are that you can, as you have only been given BC for r and not [tex]\theta[/tex], so this should allow enough freedom for allow values for other a's.

What I meant by my previous comment was that the general solution (for a seperable solution) is

[tex]
\varphi \alpha +\beta\log r
[/tex]

Evaluate this at r=1,2 to obtain:

[tex]
a\alpha +\beta =0\quad a\alpha +\beta\log 2+\frac{\beta}{2}=0
[/tex]

Can you find an [tex]\alpha ,\beta[/tex] that will satisfy the above equations?

Yes you can, and it turns out that there are only nonzero solutions in case a = 0 or a = 1/(2*ln(2)), and in those cases there are infinitely many solutions.

However, it doesn't strike me as obvious that just because the BC's are radially symmetric, it must follow that the entire solution is. This really is the crux of the matter - if I can prove this, then the above analysis will complete the proof.

Hmm, Not done any formal courses on PDEs, I picked up what I know from books or on the job really.

1. What is a separable solution of the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates?

A separable solution of the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates is a solution that can be expressed as a product of two functions, one depending only on the radial coordinate and the other depending only on the angular coordinate.

2. How is the Laplace equation typically written in circular polar coordinates?

The Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates is typically written as 1/r ∂/∂r (r ∂u/∂r) + 1/r22u/∂θ2 = 0, where r is the radial coordinate and θ is the angular coordinate.

3. What is the physical significance of the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates?

The Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the behavior of scalar fields, such as temperature or electric potential, in two dimensions. It is particularly relevant in problems with circular symmetry.

4. How do you solve the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates using separation of variables?

To solve the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates using separation of variables, we assume that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, R(r) and Θ(θ). We then substitute this into the Laplace equation and separate the variables, resulting in two ordinary differential equations that can be solved independently. The general solution is then given by the product of the solutions to these two equations.

5. What are some applications of separable solutions of the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates?

Separable solutions of the Laplace equation in circular polar coordinates have many applications in science and engineering. Some examples include solving for the electric potential around a charged circular disc, determining the temperature distribution in a circular heat source, and modeling the velocity field in a rotating fluid. They are also used in the solution of boundary value problems in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.