1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence {an} that is eventually constant.

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    The Sequence {an} is eventually constant.

A sequence {an} is eventually constant if there exists an index n*EN s.t. an = C for all n>n*.

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have no idea, what do you think you're missing?

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, the sequence
    1, 6, 9, 8.9, -33, 51.6, -23, 7, 7, 7, 7, ....7, 7, 7....
    is "eventually constant".

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Your definition seems ok, that is I googled for it a found that if a sequence is eventually constant, then its range is a finite point set, which is consistant with your definition.

6. Nov 27, 2005 #5
    What about;

The sequence {an} is eventually increasing.

A sequence {an} is eventually increasing if and only if there exists an index n*E N s.t. an _<_ am for all m>n _>_ n*

Is that right?

7. Nov 28, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never seen anyone need or bother to define that concept before, but if they were to then that is what i imagine it would look like

8. Nov 28, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is generally true that any finite number of terms in a sequence can be changed or eliminated without changing the limit of the sequence. That is why "eventually" some property is important. A sequence that is "eventually constant" can be treated like a constant sequence (so its limit is that constant) and a sequence that is "eventually increasing" can be treated like an increasing sequence (so if it has an upper bound it converges).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?