Sequence based on sequential square root function

In summary, the sequence \{\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}}, ...\} can be expressed as a power of 2, specifically as 2 ^ {\frac{2 ^ {n} - 1}{2 ^ n}} where the numerator and denominator of the exponent increase by powers of 2. This can be used to compute the next term in the sequence.
cscott
Express each term of the sequence [tex]\{\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}}, ...\}[/tex] as a power of 2.

I found [itex]\{2^{\frac{1}{2}}, 2^{\frac{3}{4}}, 2^{\frac{7}{8}}, ...\}[/itex] but I can't get the formula for it so I can find it's limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a few more then!

Or, it might be better just to write down a way to compute the next term from the current term.

If I consider just the fractional exponents as a sequence on its own, there is no common difference or common ratio so I'm stuck in this aspect.

Do you at least recognize the pattern?

The numerator and denominator go up by 2, 4, 8, 16, etc., or powers of two.

Last edited:
I see... so it'd be like [2^(n) - 1]/2^n ?

It seems to work for the first three!

cscott said:
I see... so it'd be like [2^(n) - 1]/2^n ?
Be careful with the parentheses. It should read:
2 ^ ((2 ^ (n) - 1) / 2 ^ n), or
[tex]2 ^ {\frac{2 ^ {n} - 1}{2 ^ n}}[/tex]
:)

Well, I thought he was writing down the formula for the exponent, not the term of his sequence!

Hurkyl said:
Well, I thought he was writing down the formula for the exponent, not the term of his sequence!

Yeah, I meant it only as the exponent.

What is "Sequence based on sequential square root function"?

"Sequence based on sequential square root function" is a mathematical concept that involves taking the square root of a number repeatedly in a sequential manner to generate a sequence of numbers.

How is this sequence generated?

This sequence is generated by taking the previous number in the sequence and finding its square root, and then repeating this process until the desired number of terms is reached.

What are the properties of this sequence?

The properties of this sequence include the fact that it is always decreasing, with the numbers getting closer and closer to 1 as the sequence goes on. It also has a limit of 1, meaning that the values in the sequence will approach 1 as the number of terms increases.

Does this sequence have any real-world applications?

Yes, this sequence has been used in various fields such as computer science, biology, and finance. For example, it has been used to analyze the complexity of algorithms, model population growth in biology, and predict stock prices in finance.

Are there any variations to this sequence?

Yes, there are variations to this sequence such as the "Sequence based on sequential cube root function" and the "Sequence based on sequential logarithmic function". These variations involve taking the cube root or logarithm of a number instead of the square root.